Skip to main content

Selkie and the Twin Brothers

 Friday: Sinners (2025)

      This movie is set in the early 1930s. Two black twin brothers, Smoke and Stack, return home to Mississippi after running into trouble in Chicago. They plan to open a juke joint on some land they just bought. They plan to do it one day. Smoke reconnects with his wife hoping she will help cook. As well as getting food and help from the Asian grocers in town. Stack helps to gather the musical talent and spread the word of the opening. Their main attraction being their little cousin, Sammie, how has an amazing voice. That night it seems to be a success. Then some strangers arrive who want in. There is something off about them so they aren't allowed in. Turns out they are vampires. They slowly start turning people. Smoke, Stack, and the others have to try to survive the night. I thought this movie was good. It was really well done. Interesting to see vampires in the south during that time. The same actor, Michael B. Jordan, plays Smoke and Stack. He does a great job. I'm always intrigued by movies or TV shows where the same actor plays one or more versions of themselves. Twins, clones, multiple personalities, etc. 

Saturday: Ondine (2009)

         Syracuse is an Irish fisherman. One day he catches a young woman in his net. She has no memory of who she is or how she got there. She doesn't want to be taken to the hospital or see anyone else. So Syracuse takes her to his mom's old house. Later he takes his daughter, Annie, to dialysis. He tells her a story about a fisherman catching a woman in his net. Annie thinks it sounds like a selkie. A magical creature that turns from a seal to a human on land. After seeing the young woman, who names herself Ondine, Annie is convinced she is a selkie. Syracuse and Annie both become close with Ondine. Not all is at it seems. This movie was alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...