Skip to main content

Unicorns and the Frontier Outpost

 Thursday: Holland (2025)

      Nancy seems to have the perfect life. She lives in the picturesque town of Holland. Michigan with her husband and son. They are both respected in the community and are very involved. He is an ophthalmologist and she is a home economics teacher.  Nancy is unhappy. She starts to suspect her husband is cheating on her. She gets help from the shop teacher who is also her friend, Dave. They start to investigate her husband. He is not what he seems. I thought this movie was ok. I only kept watching it because I was curious about the husband. It's not really worth it. Interesting idea, just not executed well.

Friday: Death of a Unicorn (2025)

      A young college student, Ridley, and her father, Elliot, are traveling to the Canadian wilderness retreat of a wealthy family. Odell and his family make their money in pharmaceuticals. They pretend to be philanthropists. While they are driving Elliot and Ridley accidentally hit an animal with their car. It turns out to be a small unicorn. Unsure what to do with the body they shove it into their car and continue on. Later they discover the unicorn has healing properties in its blood and horn. Odell and his family find out and want to turn it into the next super drug. Then other unicorns come to get revenge. This movie was good. It's funny and weird. Weird in a good way. These are not friendly unicorns. It is gory, but not too bad.

Saturday: Queer (2024)

      Set in 1950s Mexico City, this movie is about an American expat man named William. He is gay and has found Mexico to be more open than the US at that time. Despite having friends there William is often lonely. One day he meets a young man named Eugene. William becomes obsessed with Eugene. Although he isn't sure if Eugene is gay or not. They start to spend a lot of time together and form a connection. The relationship is strained. Eugene is hot and cold with William. Later they go on a strange journey in South America that changes everything. I thought this movie was ok. I'm not sure why I kept watching it. It was just too strange. Also the director has this need to have loud music playing over dialogue, so you can't always hear what they are saying. He did that in Challengers too. I think Call Me by Your Name was a fluke and all the rest of his films are too artsy and weird.

Sunday: Waiting for the Barbarians (2019)

       A magistrate lives in an isolated outpost in Mongolia under the rule of the Empire. He gets along with the local nomads, often referred to as barbarians. He gets an unexpected visit from Colonel Joll. Joll believes there is a plot among the barbarians to start a war with the Empire. He is willing to torture the nomads to find out this secret plot. The magistrate doesn't believe it to be true. He thinks he understands the nomad people and knows their intentions. After he nurses a young nomad girl back to health he starts to realize how wrong he is. This movie was good. It makes you question who the real barbarians are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...