Skip to main content

Red Hulk and the Little Brother

 Tuesday: Hans Christian Andersen (1952)

    Hans was a cobbler in a small village in Denmark. He had an assistant named Peter. Hans loved to come up with stories to tell the children. The children were often late for school because they were listening to his stories. The school master was upset by this. He complained to the town officials. They told Hans to stop. But he didn't. Peter overheard that they were going to banish Hans. So he convinced Hans to go to Copenhagen before that happened. Hans had always dreamed of owning a shop there. When they arrived one of their first jobs is to fix some shoes for a ballerina. Hans falls for her. He writes The Little Mermaid for her. He misreads the situation. Later he goes on to write many beloved stories. I thought this movie was alright. It's based on his life. Not a direct biopic. It is a musical.

Thursday: Didi (2024)

     Set in 2008 this movie is about a Taiwanese American teenager named Chris. It's the summer before he starts high school. He's struggling to find his place. Chris constantly fights with his older sister. He doesn't get his mom. Chris tries to get closer to his crush, Madi, but messes that up. He liked to make Youtube videos. One day while out with his family he meets a group of older boys doing skateboard tricks. They mention they could use someone to film them. He offers to do it even though he has no experience with that kind of filming. He just wants to be one of them. It's a coming of age story. This movie was alright. Definitely brings you back to that time. 

Friday: Parachute (2023)

      Riley just got out of rehab for an eating disorder and body image issues. She is discouraged from starting a new relationship till she's been out of rehab for a year. One the first night home she meets Ethan. Ethan is super sweet and understanding. She tells him they can only be friends for now. They spend all their time together. They are really more than friends but Riley won't admit to that. She continues to struggle with eating and body image issues. Her relationship with Ethan becomes toxic, harming both of them. She has to figure out how to ask for help and really work at it. I thought this movie was alright. It was more intense than I thought it would be.

Saturday: Captain America: Brave New World (2025)

      Sam Wilson is still figuring out his role as the new Captain America. Although he does missions for the U.S. government his is still hesitant about working with them full time. After he recovers a stolen package the new president, Thaddeus Ross, brings him in. He wants Sam to work for him. Sam is unsure. Later he is invited to an event at the White House. He brings his friends Joaquin (the possible new Falcon) and Isaiah. Ross wants to have a treaty with other countries for how to use the resources from Celestial Island. Then all of the sudden Isaiah gets up and tries to shoot Ross. There are other shooters in the audience as well. Isaiah is arrested. Sam knows he wouldn't do that. He starts to investigate and finds out there is a much larger conspiracy going on. It could have disastrous effects. This movie was good. Not the best Marvel film but still good. I will say it does help to have seen The Incredible Hulk from 2008. Also Ross was originally played by William Hurt. He was Ross in all the other Marvel films. He died in 2022. So they had to recast him for this movie where Ross is played by Harrison Ford.

Sunday: Longlegs (2024)

       A new FBI agent, Lee, discovers she has psychic abilities. Her boss, Agent Carter, puts her on the case of a serial killer. The killer, self named Longlegs, has killed several families over many years. They are unsure how he does it. They all appear to be murder/suicide, with no evidence of Longlegs entering the house except for the coded messages he leaves. Lee tries to discover any clues she can. Soon realizing she is in danger. I thought this movie was good. I'm not always a big fan of horror but this was well done. I waited for it to be free on streaming. It's been so long I forgot one of the reasons I wanted to see it is because it's set in Oregon. Filmed in Canada unfortunately.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...