Skip to main content

Chicken Parm and the Wicked Witch

       The Saturday before Thanksgiving I went to a food truck called Mangiamo!. It is on N Lombard. There is street parking. It is part of a pod. There is plenty of seating. Some covered if I remember correctly. The cart is black with a small awning that has dangly lights hanging from it. Service was good. I got the chicken parmesan sandwich. It was good. It's the kind of sandwich that you have to eat with a fork first so you can actually take a bite. Also to be less messy.  The bread was really good. Soft and buttery. It looks like they have a good meatball sub too. I would go back but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Tuesday: Uproar (2023)

      This movie takes place in the 80s in New Zealand. There was controversy surrounding the South Africa rugby team. A lot to do with the black South Africans being suppressed even though they were the majority. They were the target of racism in Africa. They were on tour playing teams all over. The Maori people of New Zealand were protesting in solidarity. They too had been suppressed. Josh is a teenager struggling to find his place. He is half Maori. He used to play rugby but not anymore. One of his teachers realizes Josh has a talent for acting. The teacher wants Josh to explore that. His friend becomes active in the protest and wants him to join. His school asks Josh's older brother, who has struggled after a career ending injury, to be the assistant coach  for the rugby team. His mother says only if Josh is on the team. Josh is being pulled in so many directions. He has to find himself and what's really important to him. I thought this movie was good. The Maori chanting always makes me slightly uncomfortable and want to cry at the same time. It is so powerful.

Friday: Gladiator II (2024)

      Lucius's home is attacked by Romans. He does his best to defend his it but in the end they lose. He is taken back to a corrupt Rome to be made a gladiator. Lucius is the favorite of the gladiator master. He doesn't care about anything but getting revenge on those who took his home. Key players in Rome are making moves to overturn the corrupt emperors. Little does Lucius know, he has an important part in it. This movie was good. It seems like it's been awhile since a movie has been set in such a long ago time. There were some parts that seemed unrealistic. Exciting and visually pleasing but unrealistic. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday: Saturday Night (2024)

     This is based on a true story. Lorne Michaels is preparing for the first episode of his new TV show, Saturday Night Live. It is not an easy task. He has to wrangle a group of up and coming comedians. Convince the network that the show will be a hit. While having to solve a never ending amount of problems. All before the show airs in an hour. I thought this movie was alright. It is crazy and wild. But you can imagine that was how it was back then. The actors did a good job portraying legends like Chevy Chase, John Belushi, and Billy Crystal. 

Friday: Wicked (2024)

      Elphaba has always been different. She was born with green skin and innate magical talent. She has been treated as other her whole life. When her sister, Nessarose, is ready to go to college, Elphaba goes along to make sure she is ok. Nessarose is in a wheelchair. While at the school Elphaba accidentally causes a scene and displays her magical powers. The dean sees this. She admits Elphaba into the school and has Elphaba in her private seminar. Elphaba is assigned to share a room with Galinda. Who is the complete opposite and wants nothing to do with her. She excels in her classes. She learns about what is happening to the talking animals. Despite their differences Elphaba and Galinda become friends. When she is invited to meet the Wizard of Oz she brings Galinda with her. But not all is at it seems. This movie was good. I did get goose bumps several times. But I didn't think it was quite as amazing as everyone else did. I don't like Ariana Grande (Galinda), but I'll admit she did a good job. Both of the lead actresses are divas.  I don't like divas. The actress who plays Nessarose is the first actor who is actually wheelchair bound to portray a wheelchair bound character. Also this is just part one. We have to wait a whole year for part 2.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...