Skip to main content

Pesto Pizza and the Guilty Juror

    Saturday I went to Wild Child Pizza on NE Alberta. There is street parking. It is small. It's painted orange and black with a bold pattern on the orange. There is a small alley you go into and order at the window. There is no seating. At least not when I went. They make Detroit style pan pizza. I got two slices, pesto chicken and pepperoni. The pepperoni had a dollop of marinara on top. It was good but spicy. The pesto chicken had bacon and a ranch drizzle on top. It was SO good. There was no where else to sit and eat, so I ended up eating it in my car. The service was good. It seemed like a long time before I got my slices even though they were already cut. I realized this was to add the other ingredients on top and heat it up. I would go back tomorrow. I'll be dreaming about that pizza.

Tuesday: Only You (1994)

     When Faith was a teenager she learned from an ouija board and a fortune teller that her soulmate's name is Damon Bradley. Later when it is weeks away from her wedding she answers a call from a man named Damon Bradley. She finds out he is on his way to Italy. Faith rushes to the airport to try and see him before he boards. She is too late and spontaneously buys a plane ticket to Italy to find him. Her sister-in-law goes with her. They arrive in Venice to find he is no longer there. They find out his next stop and follow. With some help they find out where he will be. After thinking she lost him in a crowd Faith meets a man who says he is Damon Bradley. They hit it off immediately. Only problem is his name is really Peter. Faith has to decide what destiny really means for her. I thought this movie was alright. It's fun, but also illogical. She does all this for a man who she's never seen and might not even exist.

Wednesday: Broken Flowers (2005)

     Don gets a letter in the mail telling him he has a 19 year old son. There is no name on the letter. With the help of his friend Winston, Don makes a list of all his girlfriends from 20 years ago. They find out where they are and plan a trip. Don visits each of them trying to determine if they were the one who wrote the letter. He has to reevaluate his past relationships and how he treats women. This movie was alright.

Friday: Juror #2 (2024)

     A soon to be father, Justin, is called for jury duty. He is selected. The trail is for a man accused of murdering his girlfriend. As he listens to the details Justin starts to notice how they line up with something that happened to him on that same night. He had been at the same bar as the couple. He left and on the way home thought he hit a deer. Now he realizes that he hit the girlfriend with his car and killed her. Justin doesn't know what to do. If he comes forward his past will insure a long sentence. With a baby on the way he doesn't want to risk that. So he has to try and convince the other jury members to vote the way he wants. I thought this movie was good. It's a interesting concept. Someone gets called for jury duty and the case just happens to be one they are guilty of.

Saturday: Mrs. Henderson Presents (2005)

     This is inspired by true events. A recent widow, Laura Henderson, decides to buy a theater. She hires a  theater manager, Vivian. He has lots of experience in theater. They decide to put on a continuous vaudeville show. Soon other theaters do the same. Laura comes up with an idea to stand out. All nude revues. To get around nude regulations the women aren't allowed to move on stage. They come up with a way to have song and dance numbers done around them. It's a success. Then WWII comes and puts everything at risk. Since the theater is underground they keep going when other theaters have shut down. This movie was alright.

Sunday: Darling Lili (1970)

     During WWI an English singer, Lili, is a spy for Germany. Her latest assignment is an American pilot named William. She will get information out of him by seducing him and passing it on to the Germans. What she doesn't account for is falling in love with him. Then she learns the French intelligence agency thinks William is passing information to the Germans. But they say it is another woman. Lili becomes extremely jealous and tries to find out if this woman exists. I thought this movie was alright. It's more of a comedy than a drama. But still hard to believe Julie Andrews (Lili) as a German spy. She's too charming.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...