Skip to main content

Sociopath Child and the Greek Island Murder

Wednesday: Bigger Than Life (1956)
          
        Ed is a teacher who is doing his best to support his family. He also suffers from a serious illness that causes him immense pain. After a blackout he is diagnosed with a rare disease. Ed only has months to live, but there is a new drug that can help him. It is hormone cortisone. It works quickly and he starts to feel better. Soon his personality changes. He has bouts of mania and depression. He becomes aggressive and mean. His wife doesn't know what to do. They can't go on living with him when he's like this, but without the drug he will die. I thought this movie was alright. 

Friday: Joker: Folie a Deux (2024)

         Arthur is in Arkham waiting on his trail. His lawyer is trying to prove that he has multiple personalities. The Joker takes over and Arthur has no control. The prosecution is not buying it. Arthur meets another patient in Arkham, Lee. She adores him and believes him. They quickly fall in love. Arthur struggles to maintain his image as the Joker. He's not sure that's who he wants to be anymore. Lee doesn't agree. This movie was alright. The plot was a little lacking. Also it came across as a musical, which I'm not sure was the intention. I did like some of the subtle references they make to the comic book characters. Like Harley Quinn, Joker, and Two Face. 

Saturday: Killer Heat (2024)
       
          An American PI, Nick, living in Athens is hired to solve a case on another island. A rich family runs the island. Penelope, the daughter-in-law, is the one who hired Nick. Her brother-in-law, Leo, fell off a cliff and died. She is married to his twin brother Elias. Penelope believes it wasn't an accident. That Leo was murdered. Nick has to be discreet about investigating. No one can know Penelope hired him. And the family owns everything on the island, including the police. The more he investigates the more he realizes that something else is going on. I thought this movie was alright. It has some good, but predictable, twists. It is a modern noir film.

Sunday: The Bad Seed (1956)

           Christine and her husband have a sweet 8 year old girl, Rhoda. Christine's husband is called away for work and will be gone a month. Not long after he leaves Rhoda goes to the school picnic. A young boy is found dead at the picnic. He had a medal that Rhoda believed was rightfully hers. Soon suspicions come out that Rhoda might have been involved in the boy's death. Christine doesn't want to believe her daughter could do such a thing. But she can't deny all the clues that point to Rhoda. Her sanity is tested as she has to deal with the likelihood that her daughter is a killer. A killer with no real feelings or sense of right or wrong. This movie was alright. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...