Skip to main content

Curly and the Nuclear Power Plant

 Saturday: Silkwood (1983)

     This is based on a true story. Karen Silkwood worked at a nuclear power plant in Oklahoma. After working there for a couple of years she starts to notice things. The plant is not following safe practices. Putting the workers in danger. They are not protected from contamination. If they are contaminated they are told they are fine. That's it's an acceptable level of radiation. When in fact they are all likely to get cancer. Even Karen gets contaminated. She starts to work with the union to try and get the plant to change its practices. People working at the plant are not happy with her. Fearing she will get the plant shut down. The plant doesn't want to lose money and the workers don't want to lose their jobs. Karen becomes a target. This movie is good. I understand people not wanting to lose their jobs. But I don't get how they could be mad at her for trying to keep them safe. She was trying to make it better for them so they wouldn't get sick. Would they really rather get cancer and keep that job? Doesn't make sense.

Sunday: Oklahoma! (1955)

        Laurey lives with her aunt on a farm. She has gained the attention of two men who both want to take her to the upcoming dance. Curly is a cowboy who has trouble admitting he likes Laurey. Laurey likes him as well, but is too stubborn to admit it. Curly's hesitation in asking her to the dance leads to Laurey accepting the farm hand, Judd's, invitation to the dace.  Judd is a dangerous stalker. She doesn't realize how dangerous he is until she's accepted and fears what will happen if she tells him she's changed her mind. Meanwhile Ado Annie has a hard time choosing between her betrothed Will and the traveling peddler Ali. It all comes to a head at the dance. Although it looks like Curly and Laurey will be together, they aren't in the clear. This movie was alright. I've seen the musical before. They did it my sophomore year of high school. But I haven't seen the movie, or not the whole thing. I didn't intend to have an Oklahoma themed weekend. It just worked out like that. Also both movies have been on my list for awhile, so it was nice to finally see them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...