Skip to main content

Slimer and the Baseball Legend

 Tuesday: The Country Girl (1954)

      Bernie is a director who is putting on a new musical. He wants to cast Frank in the lead. Frank's career has gone downhill. Mostly due to his alcoholism. Bernie believes Frank would be a perfect fit for the role regardless. Frank does his best with the help of his wife Georgie. But he continues to struggle. Bernie believes it's Georgie's fault and Frank does little to argue that point. It's a constant struggle to get Frank to play the part well. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: Fantastic Voyage (1966)

       A new shrinking technology has been invented by the military. It could have many uses. A scientist with a key piece of knowledge regarding the technology gets in an accident and goes into a coma. The only way to fix the blood clot causing the coma is to go in microscopically. An agent named Grant, as well as doctors and a submarine captain are put in a ship that is shrunk down to a microscopic level and then put into the scientists veins. They have to navigate their way through his body to get to the clot. His body does not make that easy. Also Grant has to watch out for someone who might sabotage the mission. This movie was alright. An interesting concept, but a little boring.

Friday: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)

      The Spengler family are struggling with their new role as ghostbusters. Phoebe is sidelined after the mayor discovers she is a minor and for the damage she caused. Feeling left out she makes friends with a ghost and spends time with Ray. An ancient artifact is brought to Ray. It has crazy paranormal readings. Soon they all learn of the dark force within. It wants to raise an army of the dead and bring forth a new ice age. All of the ghostbusters from the past and present must come together to fight this evil force. I thought this movie was good. There were parts of it that were pretty cheesy. There were lots of good references from the original movies. Even some of the original ghosts make an appearance.

Saturday: Project Power (2020)

        In New Orleans a new pill hits the streets. It gives you super powers for five minutes. Only problem is you don't know what power you'll get or if it will kill you. A dealer named Robin and a cop team up with Art, an ex-soldier. Art wants to bring down the people making the pill. Turns out he has a very good reason for wanting them destroyed. I thought this movie was alright.

Sunday: The Pride of the Yankees (1942)

         This is based on a true story. Lou Gehrig was raised in New York City by his German immigrant parents. He always loved baseball and had a natural talent. His mother had other plans for him. He was to go to Columbia and become an engineer like his uncle. Not too long after starting at Columbia is a recruited by the Yankees. He signs with them. Lou becomes a legend. Later his health fails and he learns he has ALS. He has to stop playing but his name lives on. This movie was good. I thought maybe I had seen it before but I think it was another film that is similar. Babe Ruth plays himself in the movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...