Skip to main content

Salted Honey Pie and the World Cup

      Saturday I went to Lauretta Jean's. It is on SE Division. It has neighborhood parking near by I think. I parked farther up by a vintage store I went to. Lauretta Jean's is a bakery. They are mostly known for their pies. They also sell other pastries, breakfast, lunch, and hot beverages. It's a fairly small place. There is the main counter on one half and a couple tables on the other half. The wall behind the counter has wallpaper with oranges on it. The rest is painted a medium green. The walls are decorated with art in gold vintage frames. It's very comforting and homey inside. It smells amazing. The service is good and friendly. I got two slices to go. The first was their salted honey pie. It is really good. It has a hard shell and a gooey filling. The filling is like pecan pie filling but with honey. The second slice was chocolate cream pie. It's good but messy. It doesn't travel well. They put each slice in parchment paper then in the same box so they wouldn't touch. But the chocolate cream was smeared on the paper. I would go back for sure. They have a s'mores pie that sounds really good.

Tuesday: Indiscreet (1958)

      Anna is a famous stage actress. Through her brother-in-law she meets a visiting American banker, Philip. Her brother-in-law is trying to recruit Philip to work for him. Anna and Philip hit is off. Then she finds out he is already married. Philip and his wife are separated but he can't divorce her. Despite the possible scandal Anna continues to see him. They can't help how they feel for each other. Their future is uncertain. I thought this movie was alright. It has a twist.

Friday: Challengers (2024)

       Three young tennis players meet after graduating high school. Patrick and Art are best friends who have trained together for a long time. Tashi is an up and coming superstar player. They all want to go pro. Art and Tashi are going to college first. Patrick and Art both have a crush on Tashi. We see their relationships through the years. Tashi dates Patrick first. Then after a serious injury Tashi can't play anymore. She ends up coaching Art. Then they get married and eventually have a kid. It is not a happy marriage. Things aren't completely over between her and Patrick. All their complicated drama comes to a head when Art and Patrick play each other in a small tournament. This movie was alright. It has some good moments. But there was club music they would randomly blast. So loud sometimes you could barely hear what they were saying. There was a lot of time jumping. I got whip lash from all the time jumping. It started in present day, then went to two weeks before, present day, 13 years before, present day, two days before and so on. They should have just told it from beginning to end. There was also some weird artsy shots. 

Saturday: The Beautiful Game (2024)

        This is based on a real competition. Vinny is a young soccer player down on his luck. He is recruited to play in the Homeless World Cup. It's being hosted in Rome. Vinny doesn't want to admit he is homeless. But he wants to play and this seems the only way. He is the star player. Vinny doesn't know how to be part of a team. He acts like it's all about him, that he's better than everyone else. Soon he realizes this championship is not about him. It's so much more to all the players. It's a second chance. I thought this movie was good. It was well done. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...