Skip to main content

Wonka and the Mixed Up Holiday

 Wednesday: Maestro (2023)

     This is based on a true story. Leonard Bernstein was a composer who's career was on the rise. He was a gay man who did little to hide it. At a party he mets an actress named Felicia. They got along really well from the beginning. They dated and eventually got married. Felicia pretended to be ok with Leonard's affairs. They were married for a long time. He became very famous and sought after. His fame and affairs brought strain on their marriage. I thought this movie was ok. 

Thursday: Wonka (2023)

     This is a prequel to the 1971 movie. Wonka is a young man. He wants to sell his chocolate along side the best chocolate makers. He arrives in the city where they all have their shops. He is wanting to open his open shop. Wonka believes it will be easy. But the other chocolate makers don't make it easy for him. Also he gets trapped working for a laundress. He will only be free once he has enough money to buy his way out. There he meets the adopted daughter of the laundress, Noodle. Together they come up with a plan to sell chocolate to pay off their debts. Wonka's chocolates are very popular and it seems like he could be a success. This movie was alright. It is a musical. But honestly it would have been better without the songs. Even then a lot of it is over the top and cheesy. Still enjoyable.

Friday: Your Christmas or Mine? (2022)

    James and Hayley are a new couple who met at university. They are both going home for Christmas. At the last minute they both decide they want to spend the holiday together. They do it as a surprise, so they don't tell the other what they are doing. So James ends up at Hayley's house and Hayley ends up at James'.  Due to snow they end up stuck at each others houses. They both learn that they don't really know each other like they thought they did. They're not sure they should be together. I thought this movie was good. It's a fun British romanic comedy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Monday: The Boys in the Boat (2023)

    This is based on a true story. It is set in the depression in Washington. Joe lives in a car. He goes to the University of Washington. He struggles to pay tuition. There is little work. Then he hears about the rowing team. If he gets on it he gets room, board, and a job. He has to work very hard to get on the team, but he does. It isn't easy but it helps him to stay in school. Joe and the rest of the new junior team are really good. They make it to the Olympics in Berlin. This is a good movie. It's an amazing story.

Tuesday: Leave the World Behind (2023)

    Amanda and her family rent a house by the beach for a vacation. Everything starts out fine. But strange things start to happen. An oil tanker runs aground at the beach. Their devices stop working. Then two strangers show up at the door in the middle of the night. It's G.H. and his daughter Ruth. He owns the house. They were in the city but a black out caused them to seek shelter in their beach house. Tensions run high as Amanda reluctantly agrees to let them stay. Things continue to get worse. They find out the U.S. is under a cyber attack. Both families will have to come together to survive. I thought this movie was ok. It's scary because it could happen. Apocalypse movies always stress me out.

Thursday: Your Christmas or Mine 2 (2023)

     Hayley and James along with their families are spending Christmas in the Austrian Alps. At the airport there is a mixup in their transportation. They think they are all going to the same resort so it won't matter. James and his family end up at the hotel Hayley's dad booked. Which is really just a barn on someone's property. Hayley and her family end up at the super fancy resort James' dad booked. Again they are stuck due to snow. Soon they are able to all be at the nice resort. Another challenge comes in James and Hayley's relationship when they realize they have different ideas for their future. This movie is good. Normally I wouldn't watch a Christmas movie after Christmas. But I didn't want to wait a year to watch the sequel.

Friday: Saltburn (2023)

     Oliver is a student at Oxford. He becomes fascinated by Felix, who is popular, handsome and charismatic. They end up becoming friends. Oliver gets invited to stay at Felix's home for the summer. Saltburn is an estate so grand it's almost a castle. Oliver is envious of their lifestyle and will do anything to be part of it. I thought this movie was ok. I wasn't planning on seeing it. But I've see a lot of people talk about it online. They mentioned a twist. I like a good mystery, so I thought I would watch it. And it was for free on Amazon. There is a twist, but it's not the exciting. A lot of the movie is very uncomfortable to watch. I was right that I wouldn't like it very much.

Saturday: Poor Things (2023)

      Bella was brought back to life by a doctor named Godwin Baxter. He does a lot of experiments in reanimation. Although she appears to be a grown woman, mentally she is a toddler. Slowly she develops and ages mentally. Bella wants to explore the world but Godwin wants to keep her locked up in the house with him. Then she meets Duncan, who is a wealthy lawyer. He is fascinated by her and offers to take her on a trip. Bella goes with him. She sees more of the world and learns about the good and the bad. She continues to evolve and become more intelligent. This movie was alright. It was pretty weird. Again I wasn't planning on seeing it. Online reviews and it being nominated for awards convinced me to see it. It does have beautiful sets. It's just too weird for me. I liked it better than Saltburn, but I should have followed my gut instinct and not seen either movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...