Skip to main content

Twins and the Fake Book

Tuesday: Father Goose (1964)

     Walter is a drunk who lives on a boat in the South Sea. After getting caught stealing he is persuaded to volunteer to help with the war effort during WWII. He is assigned an island to keep look out from. Walter has to report any planes or ships that he sees. While there he is called to rescue a man from another island with the same job. When he gets there he discovers it's not a man but a teacher and seven students. He brings them back to his island and has to protect them. I thought this movie was good.

Wednesday: Dominick and Eugene (1988)

      Dominick and Eugene are twin brothers. Dominick had a major brain injury when he was a kid. So now he has cognitive issues that effect his intelligence. He works as a garbage man and is putting Eugene through medical school. Eugene worries how his brother will cope if he has to go far away for med school. Their relationship starts to strain, especially when Eugene gets a girlfriend. They have to make it work. This is a good movie. Much better than I thought it would be.

Friday: American Fiction (2023)

     A black author nicknamed Monk is tired of his work not getting recognized. Publishers don't want that kind of book from a black man. They want something more "authentic". Or what they believe to be "authentic".  He doesn't want to play into the stereo types. Monk goes to Boston for a book conference. While there he visits his family who are struggling.  At the conference he hears a black female author read from her new book. It is very stereotyped and leans into the image most people have of black people. Everyone loves the book. As a joke Monk writes a book from a similar perspective under a fake name. Just to show how ridiculous it is that they think that's how it's really like. And that's the only type of story that can be told. To his surprise the book is a success. Now he has to decide if he can keep up the charade. I thought this was a good movie. It has an interesting message. The acting is really good. Not sure I explained it the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...