Skip to main content

Quiz Lady and the Amateur Vampire Hunters

 Tuesday: The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) 

       Professor Abronsius and his apprentice Alfred are searching for proof that vampires are real. The professor wants to study them and determine which myths are true. They stop in a small Transylvanian village. The inn they stay at is heavily decorated with garlic braids. This is their first clue vampires are around. The villagers won't talk about it. Alfred falls for the daughter of the innkeeper. One night she is taken by Count von Krolock. The professor and Alfred follow the tracks to Krolock's castle and discover he is a vampire. Not expecting to actually find a vampire they are unprepared to take him on and save the innkeeper's daughter. I thought this movie was good. It's silly. More comedy than horror.

Friday: Priscilla (2023)

      This is based on the true story of Priscilla Presley. It starts when she first meets Elvis in Germany. Her father is stationed there and so is Elvis. She is 14. Priscilla meets him at a party and they hit it off. He really takes a liking to her despite the age difference. After he leaves Germany she waits years before she sees him again with little contact in between. Eventually she is able to see him. Later she moves into his house and finishes high school near by. Later they are married and have a daughter. Priscilla spends most of her time waiting for him. When he is there he is often high on drugs, controlling, and abusive. Their love doesn't last. This movie was alright. It was well done, just slow. It felt longer than Killers of the Flower Moon even though it was an hour and a half shorter. At first I wasn't sure about another Elvis movie so soon, but it is really more about Priscilla. I read an article that their daughter did not like the way this movie portrayed her father. That it was an attack on him. I think part of that is she didn't want to think her father could be like that. She didn't want to know the truth. Not saying he was all bad, but he had some major issues. Unfortunately I think that's true of most performers back then. Also this movie is based on a book by Priscilla and she was a producer on the movie. So she has some say in how her story was told.

Saturday: Quiz Lady (2023)

      Anne is obsessed with a game show. She watches it every night and gets all the answers right. One day she learns her gambler mother has run away from the nursing home. Her older sister Jenny was also called to the nursing home. Jenny is a mess and asks to stay with Anne. Later Anne is approached by a threatening man. He says that her mother owes him a lot of money, and because he can't find her Anne has to pay him the money. He kidnapped her dog and won't give him back till he gets his money. She doesn't know what to do to get that money. Jenny convinces her to audition to be on her favorite game show to win the money. She eventually agrees despite having stage fright. I thought this movie was good. It's a lot of fun. I didn't like all the humor but it was good for the most part.

Sunday: Au hasard Balthazar (1966)

      This is a French movie. It is about a donkey named Balthazar. He starts out as a family pet. Then he is put to work on a farm, carries deliveries, joins the circus, and more. Several times he ends up with a young woman named Marie. She was childhood sweethearts with his original owner. Marie cares for him. She struggles to come to terms with her feelings. Which leads to her being in an abusive relationship with the local troublemaker. She has to find a way to break free. This movie is ok. Most of the actors show no emotion. They have blank faces all the time even in really serious situations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...