Skip to main content

Sim Driver and the Portable Door

Tuesday: Bugsy (1991)

    This is based on true story. Bugsy is a low level gangster. He is sent to Hollywood to broker a deal. Much of which hinges around a small casino in Las Vegas. Bugsy decides he likes LA. He wants to live there. He buys a house and a car and settles in. While spending time with an actor friend on set he meets Virginia. She is an actress and girlfriend to someone he works with. He doesn't care, he wants her. They start an affair that they don't bother to keep hidden. Bugsy starts to make moves. He alines himself with another gangster, Mickey Cohen. He gets the idea to redo the casino in Las Vegas and expand. It will become a major destination with other casinos, restaurants, hotels, and so on. No one really believes in his vision but still lend him the money. He goes over budget and starts to make enemies within his own gang. Things don't end well for him. I thought this movie was alright. I think I'll make it my unofficial goal to watch every movie from the year I was born. Or at least the major ones.

Friday: Gran Turismo (2023)

     This is based on a true story. Yann is a young Welsh man obsessed with car racing. He plays simulated racing video games. Games so real it's almost like actually driving the cars. Yann dreams of becoming a race car driver. Nissan develops a program where they take sim drivers and turn them into real race car drivers. Yann wins a place in the program. He struggles at first but becomes the winner of the program. Many don't believe sim drivers can be real race car drivers. Yann does all he can to prove them wrong. This is a good movie. The acting isn't always the best but still alright. It's an amazing story. The real Yann was the stunt driver for the actor who played him. Which is pretty cool.

Saturday: Choose Love (2023)

     Cami is a recording engineer. She has a steady boyfriend Paul. Life is good. But she feels there is something missing. A visit to a tarot card reader reveal two more men will come into her life and she will have to choose. Soon she runs into her high school sweetheart, Jack, who is back in town. Then she meets a famous rockstar, Rex, at the record label she works for. Each man holds interest for her. Each one could lead her to a way of life that would make her happy. I thought this movie was ok. It's definitely a cheesy B movie. But sometimes that's just what you need. The main attraction for me with this movie is it is a choose your own adventure movie (on Netflix). So you get to make the decisions for Cami. Which is fun, but not as thrilling as the Black Mirror one.

Sunday: The Portable Door (2023)

     Paul is a clumsy mess who can never seem to get his life in order. Somehow he lands a paid internship at a mysterious company in London. It's not completely clear what they do. Some of it involves making coincidences. Paul discovers he has a special ability to find things that are hidden to most people. The CEO of the company, Mr. Wells, tasks him with finding a portable door. It has gone missing somewhere in the building. Paul does his best to find it. He soon discovers the real reason Mr. Wells wants it. This movie is good. I love a good British movie, especially if fantasy is involved. I randomly found this movie and I'm glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...