Skip to main content

Pancit Palabok and the Trekkie

          I had lunch at a food cart called Baon Kainan on Friday. It is on NE Couch. It is a Filipino food cart. The cart itself is decorated simply. Just black with the logo. There are some picnic tables to sit at. The parking is ok. I got Pancit Palabok. It's a noodle dish with a rich sauce, shrimp, and pork chicharrones. I got it without shrimp and added an egg. I remembered to ask for no onions. I'm proud of myself. It was good. It has the thinnest noodles I've ever had. It's simple yet comforting. The service was good. I would go back. 

Tuesday: Superman (1978)

       As an alien planet is dying and a couple send their baby in a pod set for Earth. The baby is found by a farmer and his wife. They raise the boy, Clark, as their own. Clark has special powers. Like super speed, flight, and super strength. He has to learn to hide his powers. As he becomes an adult he realizes he needs to learn more about his origins. So he goes to the Fortress of Solitude. Years later he gets a job at the Daily Planet. He also starts to be a hero, saving people and stopping crime. Soon he learns of Lex Luthor. Lex has an evil plan that will put millions in danger. Clark has to stop him. I thought this movie was alright. It was a little cheesy.

Wednesday: Please Stand By (2017)

       Wendy is a young autistic woman living in a group home. She has a job and a routine she sticks too. She is obsessed with Star Trek. Wendy learns about a script writing contest for Star Trek. She writes a script. Her sister comes to visit. Wendy ends up getting upset when she learns she can't go home with her sister. And she misses her chance to mail her script. So she decided to deliver it in person in LA. She runs away from the home and makes her way to LA. Wendy faces many obstacles. This movie is good. I like a good road trip movie.

Friday: Peter Pan & Wendy (2023)

       I'm not going to summarize the story because it is pretty much the same as the original. The only difference in the story is we learn about who Captain Hook was before he became a pirate. I thought it was ok. It's not bad, just not that exciting. I did like that it was more diverse. Like in the group of the Lost Boys there were girls and a boy with down syndrome. Also that Peter and Tinker Bell were also played by people of color.

Saturday: The Super Mario Bros. Movie (2023)

       Mario and his brother Luigi have just started their own plumbing company. Business is slow. When a major city pipe blows they go to help. Somehow they end up getting sucked into a pipe that leads them to another world. They get separated. Mario ends up in the Mushroom Kingdom and Luigi ends up in the dark lands. Mario goes to Princess Peach to get help finding his brother. She agrees if he helps take down Bowser. Bowser and his army are coming to take over and destroy the Mushroom Kingdom. First they need the help of the Kong army. They have to work together to fight Bowser. This movie was good. I have only played the games a little. But I still understood most of the references. It's a cute movie.

Sunday: Parallel Mothers (2021)

       This is a Spanish film. Janis is a middle aged woman who works as a photographer. She meets a man, Arturo, who is an archeologist of sorts. He is going to try and help dig up a grave of where serval men in her grandpa's village (including her grandpa) where buried after they were killed by fascists. They have an affair that results in Janis getting pregnant. Arturo can't be a part of the baby's life because he is still married. Janis has accepted she will be a single mother. In the hospital her roommate is a young woman in her teens also about to give birth. They bond and have their babies on the same day. They both go off with their daughters. But difficult circumstances bring them back together. I thought this movie was good. I've seen several of this director's movies (Pedro Almodovar). They are all pretty dark, but well done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...