Skip to main content

Mr. Whale and the Mermaid

 Tuesday: Father's Little Dividend (1951)

        This is the sequel to Father of the Bride. Stanley has finally come to terms with his daughter being married. He is starting to really enjoy life. He feels young and ready to take on anything. Then he finds out his daughter is pregnant. Suddenly he has to accept that he will soon be a grandfather. Stanley struggles to be there for his daughter while trying to convince himself he is still young. I thought this movie was alright. 

Friday: The Little Mermaid (2023)

       The plot is fairly similar to the original. There are even some lines that are the same. The changes are small. Ariel is stronger and more of a hero in this. The actress who plays Ariel did a great job. I liked the diverse casting. It's exciting that little black girls can look at her and see themselves. I had heard they were going to change some lyrics in the song Kiss the Girl to make it less controversial.  Making it so Eric asks for consent. Which I think it good but I didn't know how much they would change it. I didn't want it to be like that Baby It's Cold Outside remake that was so over the top. It's wasn't, it was a very subtle change. It's one of the better Disney live action remakes.

Saturday: Gods and Monsters (1998)

        This movie is about James Whale, who directed Frankenstien and Bride of Frankenstien.  Later in his life he has left Hollywood. His health is failing. His new gardener, Clay, starts to work for him. James likes the look of Clay and wants to sketch him. Clay agrees. He learns more about James. His time in the war. His relationships with other men. They often argue but in the end they become friends. This movie was alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...