Skip to main content

Nike and the Old Clubhouse

 Tuesday: Wendy and Lucy (2008)

        Wendy is a young woman who is down on her luck. She is living in her car with her dog Lucy as they travel to Alaska. While in Oregon she encounters many problems. Her car brakes down. She leaves Lucy tied up outside a store and then gets caught shoplifting. When she is finally released her dog is gone. Wendy has to find Lucy and try and get her car fixed. This movie was ok. It's kinda slow. It was filmed in Oregon, so that's why I watched it.

Wednesday: Da 5 Bloods (2020)

        Four black vets return to Vietnam. They are there to find the remains of their fallen brother in arms. They are also looking for the case of gold they buried during the war. Being back in Vietnam brings back memories from the war. Tensions still run high. Not just for the four men but also for some of the Vietnam citizens they run into. What was supposed to be a simple rescue mission turns into a battle. I thought this movie was alright. It's very well done. I just wasn't expecting it to go where it did.

Friday: Air (2023)

        Nike is trying to expand its basketball division. They are struggling to get players to sign with them. Most of them want to go to Converse or Adidas.  Sonny is the recruiter for the division. He comes up with the idea to go after just one player, a rookie named Michael Jordan. He wants to build a whole shoe line around Michael. Sonny believes Michael will be one of the greatest basketball players ever. It will take a lot on convincing. He has to get it past the head of Nike, Phil Knight. Also he goes straight to Michael's mom to see if she can get Michael to consider Nike. It's a big play for Nike to make. This movie was good. It was a little disappointing to see they didn't actually film it in Oregon. Just some beauty shots of Mt. Hood and St. Johns Bridge. 

Saturday: From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)

         In the early 60s Tokyo is getting ready for the Olympics. They are trying to clean up the city and get rid of old buildings. This includes a beloved clubhouse by a high school. Umi is a teenager living with her grandmother in her grandmother's boarding house. Her mother is studying in America and her dad died during the Korean war. She is responsible for taking care of the cooking and some of the cleaning. She doesn't have a lot of time for herself. One day the boys who run the clubhouse start to be vocal and protest the city wanting to tear down the clubhouse. Umi runs into one of their leaders, Shun. She starts to spend time at the clubhouse with Shun. She wants to help save the clubhouse. As Umi and Shun get closer they realize they have a deeper connection they didn't know about. It could change everything. I thought this movie was good. I was a little worried about where the twist was going to go. But it turned out alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...