Skip to main content

Shawarma Wrap and the Demon Deal

         I went to Beirut Bites for lunch. It is a spinoff of the restaurant Nicholas. It's on SE Grand. Parking is a challenge. It is a small place. The bottom part of the walls are bright yellow painted wood planks. The top is either white or black, depending on which side of the place you're on. The yellow is kinda obnoxious.  It would be better with a different color. There are modern tables and chairs, as well as modern chandeliers. There was cool Lebanese music playing. It's the type of place where you order at the counter and then find your table. While I was waiting they brought some warm pita with harissa cilantro sauce (spicy) and a sesame spice olive oil (?). The bread was warm. Nice on a cold rainy day. But it's clearly meant for multiple people to share because it was fairly large. I only ate a little. I got the shawarma wrap. It comes with hummus, fettoush salad, and pit bread roll kebab with harissa sauce. I scrapped off most of the harissa sauce because it was too spice. Other than that the bread was good. The salad and hummus were alright. The shawarma wrap was good. It was really messy. Leaking all over the place. So I just gave up and ate the insides with a fork. The place was clean and the service was good. I'm not sure if I would go back. The parking is discouraging.

Monday: Friday the 13th (1980)

      Steve decides to reopen camp Crystal Lake. It has a dark past with several deaths having taken place there in the 50s. Steve is determined to make it a success, ignoring warnings from the local towns people. A group of counselors come early to help get the camp set up. Then one by one each of them is killed by mysterious killer. I thought this movie was ok. It's not really that scary. Everything is pretty fake. The acting is bad. Spoiler alert: I came into this movie expecting to see Jason in the hockey mask. And that he was the killer. But no, it's his mom. She even killed the counselors in the 50s. It was revenge for the death of her son. You only see him for about 5 seconds at the end as some water zombie. So that was disappointing. (I did some research.) I guess you don't see him till maybe the 2nd one, and not with the mask till the 3rd. I'm not planning to watch anymore of the films (there are 12), so I'm disappointed not to see him in this one. I figured I needed to see at least the first movie. I have seen the first Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street. So I have completed that trio.

Wednesday: Cry Wolf (1947)

      Sandra married her friend James to help him get his inheritance. Later she sees in the newspaper that he died. She travels to him family home. There she meets his uncle, Mark, who doesn't believe they were married. He allows her to stay at the house until they have everything figured out. While there she learns of Mark's mysterious lab that he doesn't let anyone enter. When she isn't allowed to see Jame's body before the funeral she starts to suspect that something is not right. This movie was alright.

Saturday: Black Adam (2022)

       About 5,000 years ago in search of ultimate power the king wanted to build a crown that would give him powers from the underworld. He enslaved his people to find the special stone needed. One boy rose up to fight the king. He was rewarded with powers that made him strong enough to take down the king. Teth-Adam took down the king but disappeared. In modern day the people are still not free in their own country. Adrianna and her family are working to find the crown to keep it away from the foreign invaders. While on the search she releases Teth-Adam. He seeks revenge for what happened and to prevent the crown from getting in the wrong hands. He is an anti-hero. The Justice Society, a group of heroes from America, are brought in to capture him. They all want to prevent any more damage from happening. I thought this movie was alright. It was entertaining.  It was a cool setting for the movie.

Sunday: Wendell & Wild (2022)

       When Kat was a young girl she lost both her parents in a car crash. After that she's put in the system and becomes a punk rock trouble maker. Her last chance is a catholic girls school in the town she grew up in. The town is a now a ghost town. Mostly due to her parent's brewery burning down. A wealthy couple want to tear down the town and build a prison. At the school she meets a nun named Sister Helley. After accidentally touching an item in her classroom Kat starts to have visions. She is able to communicate with two demons. They call her a hell maiden. They tell her she has the ability to summon them to the living world. In return they promise to raise her parents from the dead. Kat enlists the help of a trans boy named Raul to help her. Chaos ensues. They must work together to put a stop to it. This is a good movie. I liked it a lot. It's stop motion. Directed by Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Chirstmas), who also co-wrote the screenplay with Jordan Peele. It was cool to see a stop motion film where the characters are diverse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...