Skip to main content

Ballroom Dancers and the Edited Memories

 It was a slow movie week.

Sunday: The Final Cut (2004)

        This movie is set in a futuristic world where you can get an implant to record your memories. Alan is a cutter. After someone has died he edits their best memories into a short film for the funeral. Alan specializes is cases that no one else wants to do. Bad people who have done horrible things. He edits their memories to make them look good. His latest project is a corrupt politician. The further into the project he gets the more dangerous it becomes. I thought this movie was alright. I mostly watched it because Alan is played by Robin Williams.

Tuesday: Shadow of a Woman (1946)

      Brooke had a hard time after both her parents died. She ended up in a mental institution. There she met Dr. Eric Ryder. After a week they got married. Brooke is happy and in love. When they get back to his house things start to change. Eric has a special way of treating his clients which mostly has to do with diet. Brooke starts to hear of his patients dying. She starts to get suspicious of  his practice. This movie was ok. Brooke is annoying. She keeps saying, "I didn't know that about you." Well of course you didn't you only knew him for a week before you married him. There's a lot you won't know.

Friday: Strictly Ballroom (1992)

      Scott is a ballroom dancer. Ballroom dancing is what his family does. His parents are former dancers who now own a dance studio. They are training Scott and his siblings to compete. Scott is a great dancer. But he wants to do his own steps. He doesn't want to just to do what everyone else does. This causes a huge stir in the ballroom dancing community. It causes him to lose his partner. No one wants to work with him. Except Fran, the clumsy and shy young woman who comes to the studio. Scott is reluctant to work with her at first. But she pick up the steps quickly. They want to compete but there are a lot of obstacles in their way. I thought this movie was good. It is a little cheesy and camp, but in a good way. I really enjoyed it. It's Baz Luhrmann's (Moulin Rouge, Romeo + Juliet) first film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...