Skip to main content

Lost Gold and the Platonic Marriage

 Tuesday: Goodbye Again (1961)

         Paula is an interior decorator living in Paris. She has been seeing the same man for several years. He is unfaithful to her, but she still dates him. One day she goes to meet her new American client. She also meets the client's son, Phillip. Phillip is much younger than Paula. He is a lawyer who doesn't take his job very seriously. Phillip starts to have a crush on Paula and makes his intentions known. At first Paula shrugs it off. But soon she becomes fed up with her cheating boyfriend and starts to date Phillip. It can't last. I thought this movie was good. It's actually light hearted for the most part. 

Wednesday: The Joker is Wild (1957)

      This is based on a true story. Joe is a singer in a speakeasy. He wants to work at another more successful speakeasy. The gangster who owns the speakeasy is not happy about Joe leaving. So he sends men after Joe. Joe is severely injured and can no longer sing. His friend Austin tries to find him after he disappears. Later he finds Joe working as a clown in a vaudeville show.  He helps Joe to see that maybe he should become a comedian. Joe becomes a successful comedian. This is a good movie.

Friday: Uncharted (2022)

      Nate grew up hearing about the lost treasure of Ferdinand Magellan from his brother. He is separated from his brother. Years later he meets another treasure hunter named Sully. Sully is looking for the same treasure and knew Nate's brother. Nate teams up with Sully to find the treasure. They have to find where it is buried in Spain. Others are also looking for the treasure. Nate learns that he can trust no one. I thought this movie was good. There were some parts that were not great but overall it was enjoyable. It is based on a video game. The actor who voiced Nate in the game makes a cameo. I had no idea who he was. But the way the characters interact with him it was clearly a cameo. So after the movie I looked him up and saw that he was the voice in the game.

Saturday: Double Feature: The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021) and The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996)

        The Tragedy of Macbeth is based on the Shakespeare play. After winning a battle Macbeth and his friend Banquo meet three witches. They can see the future. Macbeth will become king. Banquo will one day rule and have sons who will become king. Macbeth tells this to his ambitious wife. She convinces him that they need to make this happen by any means. So he kills the king and takes the thrown. He becomes a tyrant obsessed with the idea of Banquo and his son's taking his thrown. It drives him and his wife mad. I thought this movie was ok. I mostly watched it because Denzel Washington is nominated for Best Actor for playing Macbeth. He did a good job as always, but I don't know if it's Oscar worthy. Also I hadn't seen this play before. Or so I thought. The storyline seemed familiar. Then I remembered a Japanese film I watched called Throne of Blood. I found out it is based on Macbeth. So I have seen it, just the Japanese version.

        The Mirror Has Two Faces is about a professor named Gregory. He becomes a mess when he has any physical intimacy with a woman. He decides that he wants a platonic relationship. To be close to a woman but not romantically. He places an ad. Rose is also a professor at the same college. Her sister answers that ad for her because she is unlucky in love. Rose and Gregory meet and hit it off. Rose doesn't feel the same way about love. But she believes she won't find a better option. So she goes along with it. It doesn't work. I thought this movie was good.

Sunday: Run Lola Run (1998)

       Lola is late to pick up her boyfriend after he gets cash for a drug deal. He loses the money. If he doesn't get the money in 20 minutes he'll be killed. Lola has to find a way to get the money and get to him in time. After each failed attempt time winds backwards and Lola has another chance to get the money and get to her boyfriend. I thought this movie was alright. It is interesting how they did the story. It was shot in many different styles including animation and hand held camcorder. Some of it was cheesy and overacted. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...