Skip to main content

Cattle Rancher and the Cowardly Ghost

 Monday: Time After Time (1979)

           H.G. Wells has just finished building his time machine. Then Jack the Ripper steals it and travels to 1979. The machine returns to 1893 and H.G. chases the Ripper to 1979. He hopes to catch him and bring him back to their time to face justice. I though this movie was ok.

Tuesday: The Canterville Ghost (1944)

           Sir Simon de Canterville was supposed to fight in a duel for his brother, but he ran away. His father trapped him in his room in the castle to be punished for his cowardice. He died. Simon would only be able to move on if a descendant of his family performed a brave act. Fast forward to WWII and the castle is housing American soldiers. Simon fails to scare them away, which turns out to be a stroke of luck. This movie was alright.

Wednesday: Joe Bell (2020)

         This is based on a true story. Joe's son was harshly bullied for being gay. The son died. Joe decides to walk from his home in Oregon to NYC. On the way he will spread the message that bullying can be very harmful. He has to come to terms with his own prejudices and failings. I thought this movie was bad. I get what they were trying to do, but it just fell short. That kid and his dad deserved better than this movie. It felt disconnected. Also the big twist (or the first one), isn't really a twist because we know what happened to the son. I think I remember seeing something about this in a magazine or something.

Friday: House of Gucci (2021)

         Patrizia marries into the Gucci family. She becomes increasingly ambitious. She wants her husband to run the company, which means getting rid of the rest of the family. Her ambition leads to increasingly drastic acts. This is also based on a trues story. This movie was ok. There was good acting I guess. It just wasn't that great.

Saturday: The Power of the Dog (2021)

         Phil runs a ranch with his brother George. He is a cruel man. George marries a widow who has a young adult son and brings them back to the ranch. Phil does all he can to make them feel unwelcome. Things start to change when he recognizes some of himself in the son. This movie is alright. It is a slow burn. There are some beautiful moments. It has some twists that I wasn't expecting that made it not your typical western. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Phil which is of course why I watched it.

One a side note I watched tick, tick...BOOM! again because it is so amazing. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...