Skip to main content

Birrieria and the Wandering Man

            Tuesday I went to a food cart called Birrieria PDX. I went to the one on SE 82nd. It was in the corner of a parking lot. The area was a little sketchy. The cart is part of a small chain. There are at least two other locations. The cart is red with the logo and menu printed on it. There are some picnic tables you can sit at. The service was good and quick. I got the Quesabirria and a side of rice and beans. The rice and beans were good. I forgot to ask for no onions on the quesadilla. It was good. The meat had good flavor. I hadn't tried that meat before. It is a traditional way of cooking it. It's made with goat meat. I think they fry it a little. I might go back but maybe not to that location.

Monday: Paris, Texas (1984)

        Walt gets a call one day from a doctor in a rural part of Texas. He is treating a man they found wandering the roads. Its Walt's brother Travis who has been missing for 4 years. Walt and his wife have been taking care of Travis's son Hunter. After getting the call Walt goes to get Travis. Travis won't talk and is constantly trying to run away. Walt takes him home. Slowly Travis starts to become normal again. He tries to reconnect with his son. Travis's wife is also unaccounted for. All they know is she dropped Hunter off at Walt's house and sends money every month. Travis is determined to find her. So he and Hunter drive back to Texas to find her. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: Rembrandt (1936)

          This movie is about Rembrandt later in his life. He is a respected painter who mostly paints portraits of his wife. When his wife passes away he gets really depressed. Rembrandt is pressured into painting some officers. They are unhappy with his final product. He gets wrapped up in a scandal. He starts to lose money. Years later he meets a young maid that he falls in love with. They get married. Rembrandt is never quite free of scandal but he continues to paint. This movie was ok.

Saturday: Blue Bayou (2021)

        Antonio was adopted from Korea when he was 3. He has lived his whole life in Louisiana. He is married to a white woman named Kathy. She has a daughter from a previous marriage. Antonio has been raising her as his own daughter. Kathy is expecting their first child together. He works as a tattoo artist but is trying to get another job to help when the baby comes. Kathy's ex wants to see his daughter. He is a cop. After an altercation at the grocery store Antonio is arrested. Kathy pays the bail but then finds out ICE has him. He is being deported. Because he was adopted during the 80s he isn't considered a citizen. Many adoptions from foreign countries during that time were not legal. Antonio and Kathy do their best to fight his deportation. But his criminal past doesn't help matters. I thought this movie was ok. I wanted to see this movie because I wanted to support a movie with an Asian lead. Also I like the actress who plays Kathy. But it was too artsy. There were all these cuts scenes of his birth mom on a river. It was slow. Also it hit a little too close to home. A person adopted from Asia being deported. I checked my sister is fine. She is a citizen. Not that it makes is right. If they were adopted and have lived here their whole lives they shouldn't be deported. I don't think anyone should be deported. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...