Skip to main content

Shakshuka and the Green Dolphin

                 A bunch of new restaurants opened near my house. Most have locations in Portland as well. Sunday we had brunch at Tasty. They brought that Portland industrial design to Lake Oswego. It is sleek and modern. There are these cool modern Edison bulb chandeliers. Everything is served family style. But we mostly just all ate our own dish. The biscuits with the honey butter are amazing. I got Shakshuka with feta and merguez (lamb sausage). It is a poached egg, tomato, onion and pepper stew. It is a Middle Easter/ North African dish. I have seen pictures of it before but have never tried it. It was good. It takes a while to cool down because of the way they cook it. Which I didn't like so much. It was kinda loud inside but not too bad. They had good music. The service was good. There is plenty of parking in the garage. I would go back. Maybe try their dinner menu.

Monday: Morocco (1930)

         Tom is a french legionnaire serving in Morocco. One night on leave he catches the new cabaret act. Amy just arrived from New York to be a singer at the cabaret club. She immediately attracts the attention of Tom and a wealthy man named Monsieur La Bessiere. Amy falls for Tom. But his womanizing ways get them all in trouble. He is sent on a military detail that he is not expected to come back from. Amy has to choose between the two men. I thought this movie was alright.

Tuesday: Green Dolphin Street (1947)

       A young man named William moves to a house on Green Dolphin Street. He lives across from two sisters, Marianne and Marguerite. Both sisters fall for him. William falls for Marguerite. Marianne is determined to make William an honorable man. So she has him join the Navy. After an accidental desertion he ends up in New Zealand. After a night of heavy drinking he writes to ask for one of the sister's hand in marriage, but he writes the wrong name. When the wrong sister comes William has to make the best of it. He becomes successful in the logging industry. But a war with the indigenous people threatens to change all that. I thought this was a good movie.

Wednesday: Yearling (1946)

         Jody lives with his family on a farm in Florida. He does his best to help his parents but is often wandering the forest with the animals. He desperately wants a pet. His parents finally agree to let him keep a fawn. They become best friends galloping through the forest. Jody and his family go through some hard times. His father is injured and bit by a snake. A storm nearly wipes out all their crops. Jody grows and takes on more responsibility. I thought this movie was alright. It was interesting to see a western set in Florida. I mostly watched it because it it mentioned in an episode of Gilmore Girls. 

 Friday: St. Elmo's Fire (1985)

           A group of friends who have just graduated college struggle to adjust to adult life. Billy was at his prime in college. He can't adjust to adult life. Billy is a womanizer and can't hold down a job. Wendy is in love with him despite his flaws. She is wealthy and expected to do what her parents want. She is a social worker and feels like she could make real change. Kirby becomes obsessed with an old crush, nearly destroying everything he worked for. Kevin is unhappy with his writing job and is in love with a member of the group. Jules has a spending problem and a drug problem. Alec and Leslie are the college sweethearts. Things start to change for them when Alec switches to working for a republican senator. He is also impatient to marry Leslie. Through all their struggles they stick together. I thought this movie was alright. 

Sunday: Matador (1986)

         This is a Spanish film. Angel is a young man who wants to be a matador. He is studying with a famous matador, Diego. Angel comes from a religious household. He struggles to talk and interact with woman. Diego tells him to treat woman like a bull and take control. Angel takes this too far and commits a violent act with a woman. He later turns himself in to the police. While there he confesses to the killing of four people. He is clearly innocent but convinced he did it. With no other leads they arrest him. His court appointed lawyer turns out to be a serial killer who is obsessed with Diego. This movie was ok. It was really weird and disturbing. Antonio Banderas is Angel. He was 26 when he made this movie. It's the youngest I've ever seen him. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...