Skip to main content

Lynn and the High School Revolution

 Monday: The Hospital (1971)

         Herbert is a depressed chief of staff at a hospital. He is struggling to find reasons to keep living. His hospital is falling apart. The doctors and nurses aren't doing what they are supposed to and it's causing harm to the patients. A patient named Drummond comes into the hospital for something simple and ends up in a coma. During the same time as that happened doctors and nurses are being found dead around the hospital. No one knows why. Herbert meets Drummond's daughter Barbara. She is a young free spirited woman who lives with her father in a village in Mexico. They were only in the states for a quick check up. Herbert and Barbara start a romance and try to figure out who the murderer is. I thought this movie was alright.

Tuesday: Village of the Damned (1960)

        Alan is supposed to visit his sister for the weekend. She lives in a small village outside of London. He calls before he goes and no one answers. He grows concerned. Especially when he calls the post office and police, and no one answers. When he gets there he runs into a police officer coming back from another village. They notice a bus that has crashed. The police officer goes towards it and immediately falls over and is asleep. Alan is a major in the army he gets to a phone and calls them in. They are trying to figure out what is going on when the police officer and everyone on the bus wake up. It seems everyone in the village had fallen asleep for a couple hours. Later Alan's sister finds out she is pregnant. She is happy until they find out that every woman of child bearing age in the village is also pregnant. From the beginning there is something not right about the babies that are born. They are connected in some way and are super smart. Many fear they are dangerous. I liked this movie. It's a little cheesy sometimes but otherwise enjoyable.

Wednesday: Mr. Belvedere Goes to College (1949)

        Lynn Belvedere has won an award for his book. It comes with a cash prize. But he can't get it because he doesn't have a college degree. So he decides to go to college and do four years worth of school in one year. The school accepts him as long as he promises not to write anything about the school. He agrees. Lynn moves into dorms. He also takes a job as a hasher at a sorority. The sorority is a mess but he soon has it turned around. A young reporter, Ellen, threatens his place at the college when she writes a piece from his perspective. He is able to straighten it out but not before getting on Ellen's bad side when he discovers her secret. I thought this movie was good. Shirley Temple plays Ellen. It's weird to see her as a young woman. Even though this is the second movie I've seen when she is older. I will always think of her as that cute little girl.

Friday: Palm Springs (2020)

      Sarah is in Palm Springs for her sister's wedding. Everyone thinks she is a screw up so she spends most of the wedding alone. Nyles is a guest at the wedding. He and Sarah get talking and end up in the desert making out. Then after a strange turn of events Sarah follows Nyles into a cave. The next thing she knows she is living the same day again. Nyles is the only one who is also living the same day. He has been repeating the day for a long time. He has tried everything to get out, even killing himself. Nothing works. Sarah struggles with this. But once she accepts it she grows close to Nyles and they fall for each other. It can't last forever, they have to get out. This movie was ok. I didn't like a lot of the humor.

Saturday: The Father (2021)

          I'm not really sure who to summarize this movie. It is confusing and all over the place. Anthony is an elderly gentleman living in a flat in London. He has memory problems. His daughter Anne takes care of because he never gets along with the caretakers she hires. Events change around him. One moment he doesn't recognize his daughter and then it's the same one. He's at his own flat and then his daughter's. She's going to Paris and then she isn't. This movie is alright. There is some good acting. But it is confusing and disjointed. Although I know that is to show what it is like for Anthony with his dementia. 

Sunday: Moxie (2021)

         Vivian is a starting her junior year of high school. There is a new student named Lucy who doesn't put up with the popular jock harassing her. Lucy makes Vivian start to question things. One night while looking through her mom's stuff she find a feminist magazine that her mom made. Vivian gets fed up with how the girls are treated at her school. So she starts her own magazine called Moxie. She secretly leaves them in the girls bathroom. They start to get attention. Other girls seem to like it and agree with her. They become empowered and stop putting up with the way the school is run and the harassment they get from the boys. They start a revolution. This is a good movie. I liked it more than I thought I would. It's a good movie for teens to see. It is set in Oregon but was filmed in LA. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...