Skip to main content

Zorba and the Oregonian Cow

Monday: Claudine (1974)
        Claudine is a single mother raising her six kids on welfare. She works hard to support her family. She doesn't have time for anything else. One day she meets a nice garbage man named Rupert, or Roop. Roop convinces her to go on a date with him. Things don't start off smoothly as she struggles to manage her family and be available to him. He is very patient. They start to really fall for each other. As it gets more serious Roop starts to get nervous. He doesn't want things to get to permanent. Also he doesn't want to end up on welfare. If they were to get married he would have to. He already has issues with supporting his own children. The welfare system makes everything complicated. I thought this movie was alright. Roop was played by James Earl Jones. I have not seen him that young in a movie.

Tuesday: Zorba the Greek (1964)
       A young British man named Basil is traveling to Crete to take over his family's mine. On the way he meets a passionate Greek man named Zorba. Zorba is full of life. He convinces Basil to hire him to help with the mine. They soon become friends. Zorba is indeed helpful. Sometimes his passion gets the better of him. Not all his ideas work out. But he does his best. He tries to get Basil to go out with the wild young widow in the village. Basil moves at his own pace. They are just happy to be working together. I liked this movie for the most part. There was some weird stuff with the widow. All the men wanted her. But because she wouldn't go out with them they bullied her. The violence escalates when a young man she rejects commits suicide. It's not her fault she doesn't like him. I don't know why they take it so hard. She didn't mean anything by it.

Sunday: First Cow (2019)
       Cookie is a cook (surprise, surprise) who travels to Oregon with some fur trappers. There he meets a Chinese man named King-Lu. King-Lu has traveled the world since he was a kid. He spent a lot of time in England, so his English is good and he sounds British. Cookie and King-Lu become friends. They both want to make their fortune. Although Oregon is relatively undiscovered at this point they aren't sure they can make it there. One day Cookie hears about the first cow to be brought to Oregon. He is a baker. Cookie and King-Lu decide to steal milk from the cow at night. They will use the milk to make pastries and sell them at the fort. They are an instant success. The owner of the cow even hears about them but doesn't realize where they are getting the milk from. This can't go on forever. I thought this movie was ok. It was pretty slow. I did like the relationship between Cookie and King-Lu, and between Cookie and the cow. This movie was filmed in Oregon. I actually applied to work on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...