Skip to main content

Du Barry and the Aliens Who Actually Come in Peace

Monday: This Time for Keeps (1947)
       Dick returns from war with a fiancé and a job at his father's opera house waiting. He's not sure he wants his old life. While recovering from injuries he got in the war, Dick met an aquatic performer. They got off to a rocky start when he pretended to be blind. Once back in town he sees that she is performing nearby. He goes to see her. The performer, Leonora, is reluctant to talk to him. Soon she learns to like him. They fall in love, but his past could ruin it all. I thought this movie was good. Not the best but entertaining. I muted all the opera songs.

Tuesday: Sisters (1972)
     Danielle meets a young man on an acting job. They end up at her place. She tells him about her twin sister. They were once siamese twins, but they were separated. The next morning when he returns from getting breakfast Danielle's sister kills him. Danielle and her ex husband hide the body and clean up the apartment. Meanwhile Grace, a reporter, has seen the whole from her window. She calls the cops. They don't believe her because of the scandalous articles she has written in the past. When they go to Danielle's apartment there is nothing wrong. Grace is determined to prove that a murder did happen. Her paper hires a private detective to help her. The more Grace digs into Danielle's past the more she realizes that something is horribly wrong. This movie was ok. I totally guessed the twist.

Wednesday: Cocoon (1985)
      Art lives in a retirement community. He and his friends sneak into an empty house close by to use the pool. Jack rents his boat out to fishermen and scuba divers. He is struggling to get business. One day a small group of people offer to rent the boat for a week and they are willing to pay a lot. This same group rents the house that Art and his friends go to. They are barely there. So Art and his friends decide to risk it and continue to swim in the pool. Now there are giant egg shaped rocks at the bottom of the pool. This is clearly what they have been diving for from Jack's boat. The elderly men start to notice after they go swimming that they have way more energy. They feel young again. Joe had been diagnosed with cancer and now it was all gone. One day the group comes back and the men hide. They discover the group are aliens. The aliens catch the men watching. But they come to an agreement that they can use the pool as long as they keep it a secret. The secret doesn't last for long. I liked this movie. It was nice to see a movie about aliens who were friendly.

Sunday: Du Barry Was a Lady (1943)
       Louis is a coat check clark at a night club. He is in love with the headlining performer, May. Alec, another performer, is also in love with May. May is determined to marry a rich man. She doesn't care if she likes him as long as he's rich. Secretly she is in love with Alec but she could never be with someone who is poor. One day Louis wins a sweepstakes and gets a lot of money. He announces to the papers that he is engaged to May even though he hasn't even asked her. To get Alec out of the way he tries to drug Alec but ends up accidentally drugging himself. He dreams that he is King Louis XV and May is Madame Du Barry. Du Barry was Louis's mistress. The dream makes things clear for him. I thought this movie was ok. I mostly watched it because Gene Kelly was Alec. It was also interesting to see Lucille Ball as May. I had heard of Red Skelton, Louis, but I hadn't seen him in anything. I think there must be some sub genre in the 30s and 40s of night club movies. Where a singer is trying to make it big or falls for the wrong guy. There are so many movies with basically the same plot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...