Skip to main content

Subway Train and the Greedy Fools

Tuesday: The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
           A group of armed men take control of a subway in New York City. They hold the passengers as hostages. They contact the police in charge of the subways. They want one million dollars. If they don't get it in an hour they will start killing one hostage every minute until they do. The head of the subway police does all he can to negotiate with the men. He works to get them their money. The whole time trying to figure out how they plan to escape from a subway train underground. I thought this movie was good. Way better than the 2009 remake. I love the attitude of the New Yorkers on the train. Saying things like "Can you let me off at this station? I have an appointment." Totally unfazed, at first, about being held hostage. Or the woman who was passed out the whole time.

Wednesday: The Hidden Fortress (1958)
         This is a Japanese film. It is about two peasants named Tahei and Matashichi. They try to fight in the war but get mistaken for the enemy. So they run away. Then they are captured and made to work for the enemy. The enemy is looking for gold hidden in a castle. They also hear of a missing princess and a reward for her capture. Tahei and Matashichi escape. But when the enemy leaves the castle they decide to go back to find the gold. They find some. As they search for more they run into a man named Rokurota. He knows about the gold. They agree to work with him. He takes them to a hidden fortress to find the gold. Soon they discover he is a samurai general. And there is a young woman around as well. The two men are greedy fools. They are constantly making decisions to get more gold that gets them in trouble. They never seem to learn. All they care about is more gold. Rokurota convinces them to travel with him and the young woman to a safe land.  I liked this movie. It has good action, drama, and comedy. I like Asian foreign films better than European ones. They have a normal plot and there are no random philosophical monologues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...