Skip to main content

Yukon Gold Potatoes and the Hospital Murder

          On my way to dinner on Tuesday I encountered a rather strange site. I was coming off the highway and getting ready to turn onto Natio. I noticed that there were thousands of crows. They were swarming in the sky. Every branch of every tree was covered with crows. It seemed to just be in that corner of the waterfront. It was really creepy. It was straight out of a Hitchcock film.
         I had dinner at Nostrana. I have been trying to go there months. It is always really busy. I thought I might have a better chance on a Tuesday night. It was still busy. Luckily I got a seat at the bar right away. The place has a upscale modern Italian barn feel to it. There is a high ceiling with large wooden beams. There are posters on the walls. There is a big mural of an Italian last supper. The bar has open square shelves that reach to the ceiling. The shelves are filled with bottles. There are also masks hanging from the shelves. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere. It is loud. The service was good. The instant you walk in you smell the food, and it smells good. That's always a good sign. I got a Pizzoccheri dish. It was baked with yukon gold potatoes and thinner lasagna like noodles. It was so good. I love yukon gold potatoes. I would go back. A small note on parking. They do have a parking lot. But it seems to get full rather quickly. There is street parking. I parked in the parking garage of Grand Central Bowling. It is a bit of a walk from there to Nostrana. But it is free and secure.

Monday: Daughters of the Dust (1991)
        This takes place in 1902. There are islands off the coast of South Carolina and Georgia. Former African slaves escaped to the islands and formed a small society. They still live in a Gullah culture. They still talk a certain way and believe in African rituals. Their clothes are Victorian in style. A photographer goes to the island with a woman who was raised there. He is going to document most of the people leaving the island for the mainland. There is resistance from the reigning matriarch. I thought this movie was interesting. It is something I did not know about. It is an interesting site to see these women in Victorian clothes walking on a tropical beach. The two things don't seem like they should go together but they work.

Tuesday: Green for Danger (1946)
       A strange death happens at a small English hospital. A patient was being put under for surgery. He wasn't responding to the gas, so they switched to just oxygen. Even then the patient was still not responding and died. A detective is sent to investigate. All the doctors and nurses are suspects. When a nurse is killed the detective realizes there is more going on. He has to solve the case before someone else is killed. This is such a good movie. The detective is funny. He is very direct in his approach. He doesn't hide the fact that he think one person did it over others. The murder of the nurse takes place in a dark room. The only light is from the hall and window shutters that are blowing open and closed by the wind. The woman who discovers the body screams then the body is revealed by the shutters flying open to shine light on the body. It is such a cool way to reveal the body.

Wednesday: Wings of Desire (1987)
        An angel walks around Berlin observing people. He sometimes helps them. There is a whole network of angels. He comes upon a beautiful trapeze artist at a circus. After seeing her he decides he want to be human so he can be with her. This movie was ok. Not a lot happened. There was just a lot of philosophical thinking and narrating. I don't like foreign films like that. Nothing really happens and most of the dialogue is just philosophical stuff. The first half of the movie was in black and white. There was only color when he felt desire. Then when he is human it is all in color.

Friday: The Rhythm Section (2020)
         Stephanie's family was killed in a plane crash. She falls on hard times and becomes a drug addicted prostitute. A reporter finds her. He tells her that there was a bomb on the plane. It wasn't an accident. Stephanie is determined to kill all those responsible. She trains with a former agent. Then she sets out to get her revenge. I thought this movie was ok. Better than I thought it was going to be but not great.

Sunday: Pain and Glory (2019)
        This movie follows the life of a Spanish director named Salvador in his later years. He has several health conditions and is in constant pain. One of his films is being re-released. Salvador seeks to reconcile with movie's star before the premiere. While with the actor he decides to try heroin. Then there are flashbacks of his childhood. His family was poor but they made due. He discovers his sexuality. In the present he fights addiction and tries to find a purpose again. This is a good movie. This is the first time I have seen Antonio Banderas in a Spanish film. The movie was shot with an almost documentary realness. Which makes sense because it is about the directors life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...