Skip to main content

Jo March and the Surprising Relationship

Monday: The Rocketeer (1991)
          Cliff is a pilot struggling to get by. He is dating a beautiful woman, Jenny, trying to make her way in Hollywood. A car chase between the mob and the FBI ends at the air field that Cliff works at. Later he finds a jetpack hidden in a broken down plane. He wants to use it to do a show to make money so he can buy a new plane. But the FBI and mob are still looking for it. Cliff has been seen using the jetpack with a helmet on. He is named the Rocketeer by the press. A famous actor, who is actually a spy, is working with the mob to get the jetpack. He has darker plans for the jetpack. He finds out that Jenny is somehow connected to the Rocketeer. So he kidnaps her to draw Cliff out of hiding. Cliff must save Jenny and keep the jetpack away from the wrong people. This movie is ok. They were trying to make a 40's movie with all the Hollywood glamour. But they missed the mark. The acting isn't very good either.

Wednesday: Little Women (2019)
         This is the classic tale of the four March sisters' adventures and struggles. I'm not going to do a summary since most people know the story. I liked the movie but it was a little jumpy. I get what the director was trying to do. This has been done so many times and she wanted to do something different. So the movie starts at almost the end of the story. Then it proceeds to jump between the past and the present. The parts themselves are good but then you jump to the future and the flow of the story is disrupted. I think it would have been just as good if the story was just told in order. By being made today it is already going to be different. You don't need to do anything else.

Friday: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
        The story picks up a year after the events of The Last Jedi. Rey is continuing her Jedi training. Kylo Ren is determined to become the most powerful leader. He discovers that the sith might still be around. He wants to eliminate them so no one can be more powerful than him. He finds more than he bargained for. Kylo Ren still wants Rey to join him. She resists, although she is drawn to the dark side. The sith become a threat and Rey, along with the other Resistance members, must fight them and put an end to it. I'm trying to be as vague as I can. I don't want to give any of the big twists away. I liked it a lot. I thought it was a good ending to the franchise. It was better than The Last Jedi for sure. They should have just kept J.J. Abrams as the director. Or waited for him to be available to do The Last Jedi. I was happy about one relationship and sad about another. Vague enough?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...