Skip to main content

Thai Fried Chicken and the Christmas Elf

             The restaurant I went to this week is a Thai place called Hat Yai. I went to the SE Belmont location. There is free parking under the Grand Central Bowling building. The place is a decent size. It has a very industrial feel. Industrial seems to be a popular trend with Portland restaurants. The floor is concrete. The metal framing is exposed somewhat. There are minimal decorations. It is an open kitchen. The tables have blue checkered table cloth and either a bench or a metal folded chair to sit in.  There is also a counter option. It is one of those places where you order and then find your own table. The service was good. I got their fried chicken because it is what they are known for. It comes with sticky rice. It was good. The rice is a little boring. The sauce it comes with is a sweet and sour spicy sauce that was too much for me. Defently different than regular fried chicken. They are also known for their curries. But I knew that it would be too spicy for me. I wouldn't say no to going back but I'm not going to make a special effort to go again.

Monday: Sweet Bird of Youth (1962)
     Chance is a wannabe Hollywood star who has traveled back to his hometown with the famous actress Alexandra Del Lago. Alexandra has a drinking problem due to her failed career. Chance wants her to produce a movie with him as the star. He is also back in town to show people how important he has become. No one believes him. He hopes to reconnect with his high school sweetheart, Heavenly, who he still loves. Her father is running for office. He and his people don't want Chance to get anywhere near Heavenly. More comes out about his past as a gigolo. Alexandra uses that to get him to stay close. Chance continues to struggle with wanting fame and Heavenly. This is a good movie. Paul Newman is Chance, and as always does an amazing job. It is based on a Tennessee Williams play. Paul and the actress who played Alexandra both starred in the broadway play before reprising their roles in the movie.

Tuesday: Last Christmas (2019)
         Kate works at a Christmas store. Her life is a mess. She is irresponsible and drinks too much. Kate is couch surfing but is running out of friends who will put up with her. One day she meets a man named Tom. He is hopelessly optimistic.  He takes a liking to Kate. Despite being so cynical she starts to like him too. Tom learns that Kate is from a Eastern European immigrant family. The previous year she had a heart transplant. Since then she has struggled. He shows her that she can change her situation for the better and be happy. I liked this movie a lot. There is a twist ending that I somewhat predicted. I just got one detail wrong. There's not much better than a sweet British Christmas movie.

Wednesday: Panther Panchali (1955)
          This is a Indian movie about a poor family. The father is a scholar and priest who struggles to find work. His wife does what she can to keep everything together. They have to children. Durga is a rebellious girl who is expected to marry well. Her brother Apu is able to go to school and will one day get a job. There is also a older woman that they call auntie who lives with them. The family goes through some hard times. The father is gone for a long time trying to find work. Durga gets sick. The mother does her best. I liked this movie ok.

Friday: Dark Waters (2019)
     Robert is a corporate lawyer who defends big chemical companies. One day a farmer from his hometown in West Virginia comes to see him. The farmer wants Robert to take on his case. Robert's grandma knows the farmer so he agrees. He goes to the farm. Wilbur, the farmer, explains that a landfill was built by his property. Something in the water was killing his cows. He lost 190 cows. Robert could see there was something wrong. He does some digging and ties it all back to a big company that employs most of the town and is well known. They are knowingly poisoning not just livestock but people as well. Robert takes on the case. It is extremely difficult and he faces obstacles at every turn. He finds out just how bad the situation really is. This is a good movie. It is based on a true story which makes it even harder to watch. It goes up until about 2012. A lot of these issues are still going on. Which is scary to think about.

Saturday: Official Secrets (2019)
    Katherine works for the British government. She listens to wire tapped phones in Asian to see if there are possible threats. She and her coworkers speak many languages and spy on different groups. One day they get an email from the NSA asking them to illegally gather information to push the UN to order the invasion of Iraq. This takes place in 2003. Katherine is angered by this. She doesn't want her country to go into a illegal war. So she leaks the information to the press. Katherine does this even though she knows she will likely be arrested. I liked this movie ok. It is based on a true story. I mostly watched it because Matt Smith is in it.

Sunday: The Irishman (2019)
      This movie follows the life of a mobster named Frank. He starts out as a driver for a meat delivery service. He becomes friends with Russ, who is a important member of the mob. He likes Frank. Russ starts to give Frank odd jobs. As Frank rises in the ranks he befriends Jimmy Hoffa. Jimmy is the head of a major union and is also a key player in the mob. Jimmy has a temper and makes decisions that land him in prison. Frank struggles to defend his friend. I thought this movie was alright. It is really long, 3 and a half hours. I can see where some people find is boring. But it is a movie that can't be missed. It is unlikely a movie like this will happen again. It is directed by Martin Scorsese, and stars Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel. All those Scorsese alum in one film, you can't miss that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...