Skip to main content

Joker and the Rogue River

Tuesday: Rooster Cogburn (1975)
        This is a sequel to True Grit. Rooster is charged with hunting down a group of bandits who attacked a small village. The group was on it's way to rob a bank. They have a wagon full of nitroglycerin. When he arrives at the village he meets the only two survivors, the preacher's daughter Eula and a young Native American boy Wolf. Eula insists on coming with Rooster to hunt down the bandits. She wants justice for her father. They hunt down the bandits and try to stop them. I liked this movie ok. I mostly watched it because Katherine Hepburn is in it. I have not seen the John Wayne True Grit, just the remake. But I figured it was fine because the story is the same. As I was watching it, especially on the river raft seen I thought it looked like somewhere in Oregon. I looked it up and it was filmed on the Rogue River and in the Deschutes forest. Then I remembered when I did a rafting trip on the Rogue the guide mentioned they filmed a John Wayne movie on that section of the river. Pretty cool to be where such iconic actors filmed a movie.

Wednesday: Bunny Lake is Missing (1965)
       Ann has just moved to London from the U.S. with her daughter. The daughter's nickname is Bunny. Ann is living with her brother, Steven, who already works in London. Ann drops her daughter off at school and goes about her day. When she comes to pick up Bunny she is no where to be found. The police are called. Superintendent Newhouse is in charge of the investigation. They start to search for Bunny. No one at the school remembers seeing Bunny. There is no record. When the police go to Ann's house they find that there is nothing there belonging to a little girl. Newhouse learns from Steven that he and Ann had a difficult childhood. To cope Ann had an imaginary friend named Bunny. The police start to think that there might not be a child at all. This was a good movie. A little corny at times, but not bad.

Friday: Joker (2019)
      Arthur is a struggling clown who want to be a stand up comedian. He suffers from brain damage and has severe mental health issues. He lives with his mom. His life starts to go downhill. Arthur becomes violent. Still he works towards becoming a stand up comedian. He even gets the opportunity to appear on his favorite late night show. He asks to be called "Joker". I don't want to say much more than that. I don't want to give too much away. This is a good movie. The acting was really good. It is a drama about a criminal with mental illness. Don't expect it to be like the other comic book movies that have come out. There is no Batman. There is all this controversy about it causing people to copy what he does. That is promotes violence. So do most drama and action films. The only reason people are even saying that is because of what happened with the Chirstian Bale Batman movies, and the shooting. But just because that happened doesn't mean every time there is a movie about the Joker that a mass shooting will happen. I also saw reviews saying it was so dark and disturbing that people were walking out of the theater. I don't know why. It's not that violent. There is maybe one semi bad violent scene but that's it. Someone pointed out to me later that it could be because people can't handle watching someone with severe mental health issues. I don't know, even then it wasn't that bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...