Skip to main content

Shakespeare and the Nazi Hunter

Tuesday: Sweet Charity (1969)
        Charity works as a hostess at a dance hall. She is unlucky in love. Her current boyfriend pushes her off a bridge and steals her purse. The purse contained all the money she had. Charity encounters a famous Italian film star. They spend the night getting to know each other. Nothing comes of it other than a fun night. No one believes that it happened. She is desperate to find another job and start a new life. After a failed interview she gets stuck in an elevator with a nerdy insurance man named Oscar. Despite being so different they fall in love. The plan to get married, but her past life threatens to change that. I liked this movie ok. It was a little cheesy for my taste. It is a musical directed by Bob Fosse. I did like that she became her own happy ending. She didn't need a man to have a happy ending.

Wednesday: Marathon Man (1976)
     Thomas is a grad student studying in New York. He thinks is brother is just a business man. But Doc, the brother, is actually a spy who is hunting down former Nazis. Doc's primary target is a man named Christian Szell. Szell was known for sneaking Jews out of Germany in exchange for diamonds and gold fillings. He has been in hiding. When his brother dies he has to come out of hiding to make sure his diamonds are safe. Doc intervenes and ends up dead. Before he dies he goes to Thomas. Szell believes Thomas knows where his diamonds are and tortures him. Szell uses his dentist skills to try and get the information. I liked this movie. I don't know that I would watch it again but it was entertaining.

Thursday: All is True (2018)
    This movie is about William Shakespeare in his later life. After the Globe burns down he returns to his wife and adult children in Stratford. He spent most of the past 10 or so years in London. He finds is hard to transition into his home life. His is disconnected from his family. He still grieves for the loss of his son Hamnet. His family had already grieved and don't like him making them do it all over again. His family faces two scandals with each of his daughters. Shakespeare does his best to help his family. I liked this movie. Despite the scandal events it was still a little slow.

Friday: The Sun is Also a Star (2019)
     Natasha has lived in New York City most of her life. She loves it. Natasha also loves to learn about space. Her family is being deported to Jamaica. She tries to do all she can to stop it. Daniel is on his way to a college interview when he saves Natasha from being hit by a car. He is taken by her. He believes it is destiny. She is unconvinced. Daniel says he can make her love him in one day. They spend the rest of the day getting to know each other. Natasha's possible deportation threatens to put a stop to a relationship that could be great. I liked this movie ok. It was cheesy, as expected. I did like that it was an interracial couple.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...