Skip to main content

Pad Thai and the Men in Black

        Khun Pic's Bahn Thai is on SE Belmont. You can't see it from the street because the gate leading into the property is completely covered in plants and trees. Once you step through the gate you walk into an outdoor garden. The restaurant is in an old victorian house. It is heavily decorated in the outside dining area. There are potted plants and fountains everywhere. There are dangling lights and lanterns on the fence. There are also frames and painting on the fence between the planters. Each table is a different outdoor table set. Nothing really matches. The plates, silverware, tablecloths, and glasses are all random. There are more Thai decoration inside the restaurant. But there is still a victorian feel. Especially with the classical music playing. The whole place is run by a couple. The wife cooks and the husband serves. They are only open 4 days a week and only for 3 hours. Because it is only the two of them you have to expect a long wait. Or at least that's what I read. I went with my sister right after they opened. There was only one other group there. So we got served pretty quick. There are only a few menu items. I got the pad thai. It was really good. My sister got the Thai fried rice. That was good too. I really enjoyed it. It was nice to sit outside in the garden. It would probably be even better when the sun had gone down more and it was lit by the hanging lights and lanterns. I would go back.

Monday: Roughly Speaking (1945)
      Louise is a very ambitious women in the 1920s. She wants to work to support herself and to be more than just someone's wife. She goes to school to become a typist. There she meets her first husband. They agree that they will both work. They have several children and are happy for a while. But soon they have troubles. Louise is too independent and ambitious for him. He wants a wife who looks to him for everything. They get a divorce. Later she meets another man who has the same hardworking ambition she has. They work hard to support their family. They go through failed businesses and the depression. But they never give up. I liked this movie. It always strikes me in movies like this how hard it was for people during this time. They went through two world wars and a depression. Yet they kept going and got through it as best they could.

Tuesday: They Met in Bombay (1941)
        Gerald travels to India to steal a very valuable necklace. He pretends to be a detective so he can get close to the necklace and switch it for a fake. Then he meets Anya, another theif going after the same necklace. She plans to befriend the necklace's owner and then steal it. He changes the plan to just steal the necklace from her instead. They are discovered and escape on a boat to China. They fall in love. They get put in a bad situation when the Japanese invade China. They have to work out how to get out of there. They end up saving a village and becoming heroes. I liked this movie.

Friday: Men in Black: International (2019)
         Molly encounters an alien when she is a little girl. She also sees the Men in Black erase her parents memory of the event. For the rest of her life she works hard to find the Men in Black so she can join them. She finds them and becomes an agent. Her first assignment is at the London branch. After an attack by some aliens who are uncontainable she discovers there is a mole in the London branch. She works with Agent H to capture these dangerous aliens and find the mole. I liked this movie a lot. I thought the main bad aliens were really cool. The way they look in their natural form is not like anything I've seen before.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...