Skip to main content

Political Assassins and the Reporter

Monday: Gentleman's Agreement (1947)
         Phil is hired by a magazine in New York City. His first assignment is the rise of anti-Semitism. He struggles to find a new take on it. Then his mom suggests that he since he is still new to the city he could just say he is Jewish. Then he will have a first hand experience to the prejudice and discrimination. Phil soon finds out how bad it really is. He has a Jewish friend who challenges him. Telling him that he only has to deal with it for the article. Actual Jewish people have to deal with it constantly. Phil also has a girlfriend who actually suggested the idea for the article. But he finds out that even she has some prejudice. This is a good movie. I haven't seen much about anti-Semitism set in the U.S. Mostly you see it in WWII dramas set in Europe.

Tuesday: Suddenly (1954)
          This movie is about the president arriving in a small town called Suddenly, CA by train before going on to LA. The local sheriff is put in charge of securing the train station and the surrounding area. The secret service also arrives to help. The sheriff learns there is a plot to assassinate the president. On the hill above the station lives a family made up of a widow, her son, and her father-in-law. The father-in-law is an ex-secret service agent. The assassins arrive in town and chose the house on the hill to set up. They pretend to be secret service men and then keep the family hostage. The leader (Frank Sinatra) is a military man who found his purpose in killing during the war. He will kill anyone for money. The family and the sheriff have to try and stop him from killing the president. This is a really good movie. It is suspenseful and well acted. Even though it mostly takes place in the house, that's all you need. It was interesting to see Frank Sinatra in this role. Usually his is either charming or innocent. He did a good job playing the crazy villain.

Wednesday: The Swan (1956)
           The crowned prince is searching for a wife. He finally accepts the invitation to go to his cousin's house and meet Princess Alexandra. Her mother has raised her to marry the prince and become queen. She is very shy. Alexandra shares a tutor with her brothers. He is young, handsome, and intelligent. Once the prince arrives it is clear he doesn't want to be there. Still he and Alexandra give it a try. But it is just awkward and uncomfortable. Alexandra's mother is determined to get them together before the prince leaves. She comes up with a plan to make the prince jealous. She has Alexandra ask the tutor to the final ball. This backfires because they have feelings for each other and this just brings them up. Alexandra has no interest in the prince. They all have to figure out how to get what they want without hurting anyone. This movie was ok.

Friday: Aladdin (2019)
        I'm sure everyone knows the story already. So I'm not going to summarize it. I thought it was entertaining. It wasn't great though. It just seemed too big and bright. I don't know how else to describe it. I think it's just that I grew up watching the animated version. That is the one I know and love. And then to see it in live action with different actors and everything is just hard to get used to. Robin Williams is the Genie. No one else can compare to that. But I think Will Smith did a good job of just making it his own. His Genie was fine. I just really hate that top knot thing. The other main actors were good. The songs seemed a little more like pop songs. Maybe they always were and it's just different because you see actual people singing them. I also really liked that all the actors were people of color. I don't know if that is the right wording. But I just mean they looked like they could actually be from Agrabah (if it were a real place). They didn't cast a white guy as Aladdin.

Sunday: Sense of an Ending (2017)
     Tony is a reclusive old man. He gets a letter saying the mother of his old love left him a diary in her will. The diary belonged to his school friend Adrian. Tony doesn't know why he was left the diary or why he hasn't received it yet. He looks for help from his ex-wife. We also see flashbacks of his time in university. He falls in love with Veronica and becomes friends with Adrian. His relationship with Veronica never really goes anywhere. Then he learns that Adrian and Veronica are in love. He writes Adrian a very nasty letter. Later Adrian kills himself. Present day Tony struggles to remember what actually happened back then. His memories from that long ago time have changed the details to fit his story. What he thought he knew is not true. Tony has to make amends with the people in his life. This movie is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...