Skip to main content

Banana Split and the Press Agent

       Since my next place was a dessert resturaunt we went to a food cart off my sister's list first for dinner. Both places are on Belmont so it worked out. The food cart is called Herb's Mac and Cheese. It was really good. Then we went to Pied Cow. It is a coffee house with a hookah garden. It is in a old victorian house. We just sat inside. The smoke smell is not bad inside. Unless the windows are open then you smell a little. The decor is a mixture of victorian, Asian/Mediterranean, and art house. There is tiger print wallpaper, a victorian chandelier, and paintings on the walls. It is a little worn down. But I still liked that it was in a victorian house. I got a banana split. I have never had one before. It was good, but I just wish there wasn't coffee ice cream or raspberry sauce in it. My sister got the chocolate fondue. It was good. Other than desserts the only food they have is just snack food like cheese and crackers. Most of the food seems to just be cut up in big chunks and put on a plate in a pile. At night it is mostly lit by candles. I liked it.

Monday: The Four Seasons (1981)
     This movie is about three couples who often go on vacations together. They go on a vacation in each of the seasons. We see them deal with the difficulties of marriage. One couple gets divorced. The rest of the group have to get used to the new girlfriend while trying to be there for the ex-wife. Tensions build. All of this tests their friendship. I liked this movie. I don't know that I would watch it again but it was enjoyable.

Tuesday: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
      Sidney is a press agent trying to get good publicity for his clients. Most of his clients are actors and musicians. He has to get into the good graces of his friend J.J., who is a well known gossip columnist. J.J. won't do anything for Sidney until Sidney breaks up the romance between his little sister Susan and a musician named Steve.  He also doesn't want his sister to find out he is behind it. He wants her to think he is on her side. She is all he has and he doesn't want to lose her. Sidney does anything he can think of to break them up. This is a really good movie. They have a very fast and smart way of talking.

Friday: Tolkien (2019)
     This is based on the life of the author J. R. R. Tolkien (called Ronald). He became an orphan at a young age. He was adopted by a wealthy older woman. He goes to a nice private school were he meets 3 boys who become his close friends. They all are interested in art. They like writing, music, poetry, and painting.  He also becomes friends with a girl who lives in his house, Edith. That friendship grows to love as they get older. Through his whole life he is writing and developing his story. Everything is inspiration for him. He breaks up with Edith because his guardian gave him the choice of Oxford or marrying her. He wants both but ends up going to Oxford. There he studies linguistics. When WWI comes to England he enlists. He still loves Edith. He doesn't write The Hobbit  until later in his life when he is a professor. It is a good movie. I liked learning more about his life. You can see where he got inspiration for his books.

Saturday: Hold the Dark (2018)
     Russell is a behaviorist who studies wolves. He gets a letter from a woman who lives in a small village in Alaska. Her son was taken by wolves. Russell comes to see if he can help find the wolf who did it and figure out why the wolf did it. The situation is not as it seems once he arrives. The woman is not in a good state of mind. The other villagers are not welcoming. He soon learns that he has got himself tangled up in a dangerous mystery. Although he is only an author, it is down to him to puts things right. This is a good movie. It is pretty dark though. It is interesting to see that there are still small villages in the U.S.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...