Skip to main content

Churros and the Fake News

       Next on my list was a food cart called Potato Champion. It is on Hawthorne in a food cart pod. (I think that's what you call a place with multiple food carts.) The carts are in a circle with tables in the middle. There is a small fire pit. There are lots of plants surrounding the pod.  I got pulled pork barbecue fries. They were good but spicy. Which is my bad because I was offered honey mustard instead of barbecue sauce. I always seem to forget that barbecue sauce can be very spicy. My sister got two kinds of fries, poutine and PB&J. The PB&J was spicy surprisingly. I would go back. I would just make sure I got something that wasn't spicy.
     To cool down after all the spicy food we went to a Mexican dessert cart called Krazy Cups. I got a chocolate milkshake with a churro in it. It was alright. My sister did't really like or eat any of the food. So on the way back to the car we found another food cart pod. This one was very industrial. The gates was made up of gears and the surrounding wall was square patterned metal filled with rocks. My sister got a sushi burrito that she enjoyed. It was a night of food cart exploration.

Monday: Design for Living (1933)
    Two men who are close friends meet a woman on a train on their way back to Paris. They both fall for her. And in turn she falls for both of them. She can't choose between them. So they decide to try having her date both of them. Thomas is a struggling playwright. George is a struggling artist. Gilda helps both of them to be more successful. Thomas gets one of his plays picked up by a theater in London. He has to go there for the play. While he's away Gilda and George realize they just want to be together. But Gilda still likes Thomas. So it goes back and forth. There is a happy ending. I liked the movie. It was interesting to have a movie like this made in the 30s. But it was pre-code so they got away with it.

Tuesday: Top o' the Morning (1949)
      The Blarney Stone is stolen from a small town in Ireland. Interestingly enough the stone is insured by an American company. They send a investigator to find the stone. The people in the town believe that with the stone missing the town is cursed. Things like a man with no shadow are cause for concern. The investigator ends up working with the sheriff who finally has his first big case. The investigator also falls for the sheriff's daughter who believes he is the man she was prophesied to fall in love with. Bing Crosby plays the investigator so of course this movie is a musical. I liked movie. I mean who doesn't want to hear Bing Crosby sing.

Wednesday: Double Feature- Dark Crystal (1982) and Meet John Doe (1941)
           Dark Crystal is about two groups living after the world was nearly destroyed. There are the mystics and the Skeksis. The Skeksis guard a broken crystal that once kept the world in peace. There is a prophecy that a young Gelfling will restore the crystal and save the world. The Skeksis think they killed all the Gelflings so this would never happen. They want the power the crystal gives them. But there is a Golfing that was raised by the Mystics. He is sent on a mission to restore the crystal. The main reason I watched this movie is because I always used to see it at Blockbusters but never rented it. It is bad. There are some cool puppets.
        Meet John Doe starts with a reporter named Ann who is about to lose her job at a newspaper that has a new owner. She invents a homeless man named John Doe who threatens to throw himself off the roof of the capital building to protest how horribly the country is being run in a letter. The letter is published. The editor finds out that there is no John Doe. He is going to pull the story. Ann convinces him to keep it. She explains her plan to have weekly updates from John Doe on different issues. She tells him it will sell more papers. They hire a man to pretend to be John Doe. He is just doing it for the money. The articles start a movement. What started as a way to discuss what was wrong with the country grows out of control. This is a really good movie. Gary Cooper and Barbra Stanwyck are great.

Saturday: Red Joan (2018)
        This is based on a true story. It is about the KGB's longest serving British spy. Joan is arrested when she is an old woman. In flashbacks were learn about how she became a spy. She was a physics student at university. She meets Leo and Sonya. They are part of the communist movement starting before WWII. Joan falls for Leo even though she doesn't agree with everything he does. After university she ends up working for a secret lab that is building a bomb to compete with the U.S. Leo wants her to tell him what they are working on even though she is sworn to secrecy. He always wants something from her to help the communist movement. She can never trust him. After the bombing in Japan she decides to become a spy for the KGB. It is an interesting story. I liked the movie. I always enjoy British movies. No matter what they are about they always seem to relax me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...