Skip to main content

Haunted Dessert and the Sasquatch

        After not going to a restaurant on my list for a while I was able to go to two this week. The first is Pizza Jerk. We went to the 42nd Ave. location. It is set up like a classic pizza place with white and red checkered tables and all that. But it also has a rocker Portland vibe. There are posters for rock bands on the walls. Beer seems to be the popular beverage this being Portland and all. It is family friendly. There is a huge outdoor eating area. The service was ok. Maybe that's the jerk in Pizza Jerk. We got the thin crust New York style pizza. Half Meatzza and half Margarita. It was good but the crust was burnt. There wasn't anything special that would have me coming back again. There are places closer to me with better pizza.
        For dessert we went to Rimsky-Korsakoffee House. If the GPS on my phone hadn't told me we had arrived I would have just driven right past it. There is a small sign above the door, but you can't see it until you walk up to it. It is an older looking house. Maybe from the early 1900s. They just serve dessert and coffee. It is very dark in there. It is only lit by candles and christmas lights. Each table is dedicated to a classic musician. Ours was Liszt. The decorations are very eclectic. It took a long time for the waiter to come to our table. I ordered a hot fudge brownie sundae. I was served a hot fudge sundae. I don't know if I left out the brownie part on accident or they just gave me the wrong thing. It was still good. My sister got a peach cobbler that she liked ok. Most times the bathrooms are nothing exciting but this one is different. It is upstairs. Most of the doors in the hallway say "not here" or "definitely not here". I'm guessing these used to be bedrooms. The bathroom is under water themed. The walls are painted like water. There are feet sticking out of the ceiling. It is meant to look like someone sitting on a deck dipping their feet in the water. There is also the underside of a duck. Taking up the most space is a small kayak with a mannequin sitting in it. It is SO creepy. I felt uncomfortable being in there with it. The whole place was kind of creepy. I don't know if it is because it is supposedly haunted or just because it's old. It was an interesting experience but I don't know if I would go back. So far the places on my list haven't been anything amazing. Except for The Original Halibuts I don't know that I would go back to any of them. I hope the other places on my list are good. I guess that comes with exploring new places. Not every one of them is going to be a winner.

Tuesday: Separate Tables (1958)
       This movie is about people staying at a small seaside hotel in England. It is based on a play. Most  of the guests seem to live at the hotel year round. Each is a unique character. There is a friendly drunk who is in love with the inn keeper. But things become complicated for him when his ex-wife shows up. He still has feelings for her but they are not good together. Another character is a General who loves boasting about his time in the war. His stories prove to be too good to be true. A nervous young woman lives there with her mother. She has a crush on the General. Complications for her arise when it is discovered the General is not actually a General and he has had some run ins with the law. Her mother wants him kicked out, but she still cares for him. I liked this movie. All the acting is really good.

Saturday: Missing Link (2019)
       This is the newest film by Laika. Fun fact: This is the movie I would have worked on if Laika had hired me. Sir Lionel Frost is an adventurer who travels the world finding proof of mystical creatures. He has encountered the Loch Ness monster and creatures like it. He wants to join a respected adventurer club but they won't let him in until he has actual proof. Then he receives a letter from someone saying they have seen Sasquatch. He travels to Washington (seriously Laika it could have been Oregon, you're in Oregon) to find it. Once there he meets the Sasquatch which he names Mr. Link. Mr. Link can talk. He wants Frost to help him find his family. He knows he has cousins, the yeti, who live in the Himalayas. Frost agrees. They seek the help of his former love interest Adelina. The three of them take off on an adventure to find the yeti. This is a really good movie. Laika always does a really good job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...