Skip to main content

Cyborg Girl and the Rise of Zorro

Wednesday: At Eternity's Gate (2018)
        This movie is about Vincent van Gogh. It show his life through the time he lived in Paris to his death. You see his genius as well as his struggle with mental health. Including his well known act of cutting off his ear. Williem Dafoe is Vincent and I can see why he is nominated for the role. Other than that I'm not sure about all the festival hype for this movie. I don't know that I've seen a historical true story done as a independent film. You can tell it is an independent film. There is a lower quality to the camera work. Also we spend half the movie looking at his feet as he walks around. I didn't like this movie. If you want a good Vincent van Gogh movie watch Lust for Life or Loving Vincent. 

Saturday: Alita: Battle Angel (2019)
       The story is about a futuristic world where cyborgs are a normal part of life. There is the hard life on the ground and the good life in the city above. A doctor finds a cyborg girl in the junk yard. He is able to save her. She has forgotten her identity. As the movie goes on we see that she is a fierce warrior. This is a fun movie. You are transported to a whole new world. That being said a lot of it is pretty cheesy. It's hard to take the cyborgs seriously when they only have a human face and the rest is a robot.

Sunday: The Mark of Zorro (1940)
       A wealthy young man must return from Spain to his home in California. He finds that a lot has changed since he left. His father is no longer mayor. The new mayor has raised the taxes so much that people are starving and can't take care of their families. Diego, the young man, puts on an act that he is this wealthy aristocrat that doesn't care about the people and is just plain horrible. In reality he disguises himself as Zorro. He brings justice to his town and takes down the bad politicians. Also he falls in love with the current Mayor's niece, which just makes things more complicated. This is a good movie.

Monday: The Big Chill (1983)
       A group of college friends get back together when one of the group dies. They deal with grief as well as how much they have and haven't changed. They spend the weekend catching up and supporting each other in their loss. Even though it is a sad occasion there is some comedy too. I liked this movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...