Skip to main content

Fields of Grass and the Pop Culture Legos

Life and weather got in the way of going to a restaurant this week.

Monday: The Sea of Grass (1947)
      This western stars Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. You know it is going to be a good movie when it stars those two. I don't typically like westerns but I had to watch it if they were both in it. This movie is about a city girl who marries a cattle rancher. She moves out to his ranch. It is a huge piece of property with lots of grass for the cattle to eat. As time goes on she discovers that he is not a good man. She falls in love with a lawyer. When it is discovered that her toddler doesn't belong to her husband she is exiled back to the city. They both struggle in their separate lives. This is a good movie. I wish it was in color because I'm sure that massive field of grass would look even more beautiful.

Tuesday: The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947)
       In this film a struggling artist (Humphrey Bogart) falls in love with a young woman (Barbara Stanwyck). She becomes his muse and his art flourishes. The only problem is he has a wife in the city. To solve this problem he slowly poisons his wife. He marries the young woman and his life seems better. But soon the cycle starts again with another young woman. The new Mrs. Carroll starts to suspect that something is not right when she becomes sick for no reason. Tension builds as we see whether she will suffer the same fate as the first Mrs. Carroll. This is classic film noir. Shadows across faces to show darkness and mystery. The loud church bells in the town they live in help to build the tension. When the wife starts to put the pieces together she circles around the room in panic. The camera follows her and you feel the panic too. I liked this movie.

Wednesday: A Private War (2018)
      This is the real story of war correspondent Marie Colvin. She reported on all the major wars in the 2000s. She was in the Middle East and Africa. Marie sees more war than most soldiers. She even goes blind in one eye after an explosion. She suffers from PTSD. Yet she continues to go back to report on these wars. She is addicted to it. Marie was able to shine light on issues that we wouldn't have known about otherwise. Rosamund Pike plays Marie. She does a really good job and I see why she got some award attention. I thought the movie was ok.

Friday: The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)
      The lego characters are back for another adventure. In this movie Emmet and his friends are living in a apocalyptic land. They are attacked by an alien space ship and his friends are kidnapped. Emmet must rescue them. These movies are always fun. I love the animation. Like when someone's feet get wet it's just little blue circles that are thrown on their feet. I also love all the pop culture references. This movie is enjoyable for both children and adults. Maybe adult even more so because they get more of the references.

Saturday: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)
       This is a Lisbeth Salander story. It is based on the 4th book in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. This isn't a sequel to the movie that came out in 2011. So there is a whole new cast. In this story Lisbeth is hired to hack into NSA and steal back a nuclear weapon program. She gets it easy enough but then it gets stolen and she learns there is way more to this than just stealing a program. She discovers there is a criminal group after the program with connections to her past. She teams up with Mikael Blomkvist again to retrieve the program and discover what is really going on. Lisbeth is a cool character. She is really smart and can handle herself in almost every situation. I get an almost Swedish James Bond feeling from the movie. It is a good movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...