Skip to main content

Detective Blanc and the True Heroes of Christmas

 Friday: Hamnet (2025)

       As a young man William Shakespeare becomes a Latin tutor for a family. He falls for the oldest daughter, Agnes. She is wild and intelligent. Soon she falls for him too and they get married. They struggle but find happiness. They have three children. The youngest being twins, Hamnet and Judith. At the same time William is living in London and getting his plays put on stage. Then both Hamnet and Judith get gravely ill. Hamnet dies. Both William and Agnes struggle with their grief. William channels it into a new play, Hamlet. I thought this movie was alright. The acting is good. The little boy who is Hamnet is so cute. Found out later he is real life brothers with the actor who plays Hamlet (well the actor who play the actor who plays Hamlet). There are just a lot of unnecessary uncomfortable moments. Just weird. I have seen other movies by this director and they are similarly weird. May avoid seeing her movies in the future.

Saturday: Jay Kelly (2025)

       Jay Kelly is a famous actor. After his latest movie wraps he struggles to move on. He's not sure who he is anymore. So he decides to follow his daughter on her trip through Europe. Hoping to make amends and spend time with her. His devoted manager and his team follow him. He soon pushes them away. This movie was alright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Friday: Ella McCay (2025)

        Ella is a young lieutenant governor who by a stranger turn of events becomes governor. At the same time she is dealing with a potential legal issue with her husband. Her womanizer father trying to get back in her life. As well as an agoraphobic brother who is struggling. She does her best to maintain balance. Her intelligence and passion can only take her so far. I thought this movie was alright. The acting and writing wasn't always very good. 

Saturday: Wake Up Dead Man (2025)

         A young priest, Father Jud, is assigned to a church in a small town. The Monsignor of the church is a complicated man. He has a dark past. Father Jud soon finds issues with how things are run. The Monsignor has a group of devoted followers. Everyone else he purposely pushes out of the church. Then during a service he is killed. By who or how it is hard to tell. Everyone suspects Father Jud. Detective Benoit Blanc is called in to help with the case. This movie was alright. I'm always drawn into these Knives Out movies by the cast and the mystery. But then I don't end up liking the movie. 

Sunday: Double Feature- The Long Walk (2025) and Oh. What. Fun. (2025)

      The Long Walk is based on a book by Stephen King. It is set in the future. Everyone in the United States is suffering after a war and living in a police state. There is a competition that teenage boys can enter to win a lot of money. They must walk a certain speed or get shot. There is no finish line. It will end when there is one boy left. I thought this movie was alright. It's a crazy concept. I knew it would be disturbing. Which was why I watched it in the afternoon and followed it with a Christmas movie. It wasn't the violence the bothered me, although it was still rough to watch. There was just this one part that was really gross. It's going to take a while to get it out of my head.

       Oh. What. Fun. is about a mom, Claire, at Christmas time. She is getting fed up with doing everything for Christmas with no help and no thanks. Then her family forgets her and leaves for an event without her. It's the final straw. She packs up and leaves on a road trip. Her family realizes their mistake and tries to make it better. Claire makes her way to California. This movie was alright. Good for a made for TV (streaming) Christmas movie, just not the best. Nice to put a spotlight on mom's and just how much they do for Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...