Skip to main content

Hidden Numbers and the Boss

 Friday: Springsteen: Deliver Me from Nowhere (2025)

        This movie is about Bruce Springsteen writing his album Nebraska in 1982. Bruce's fame was on the rise. After his latest tour he was going to take a brake. He rented a house in New Jersey. The studio wanted singles but Bruce had something different in mind. He was struggling to face dark parts of his past. As well as his current mental state. Through all that he made an album. I thought this movie was good. It was well done.

Saturday: To Catch a Killer (2023)

          Eleanor is a young cop with a troubled past. She works in Baltimore. On New Year's Eve a shooter goes on a killing spree. Shooting people on decks and in higher floor apartments. Eleanor is one of the first cops on the scene. Later the FBI shows up. Lammark, the agent in charge, is impressed with her insight and asks her to work with them. They have to track down the shooter before he strikes again. This movie was alright.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Saturday: Blue Moon (2025)

          This movie is inspired by true events. It takes place on the opening night of the musical Oklahoma! in 1943. Lorenz Hart is a lyricist who was once part of the famous songwriting duo Rodgers and Hart. His erratic behavior and alcoholism has driven them apart. His partner Rodgers is now part of the duo Rodgers and Hammerstein. Lorenz is at the after party at Sardi's waiting to congratulate Rodgers despite their fall out. He's also waiting for the young woman he believes he is in love with. Lorenz is telling his side to his friend the bartender. I thought this movie was ok. Feels like a play. It's just hard to follow. He starts to tell a story but goes off on ten tangents and never really finishes the story. It's like that the whole movie. You want him to just finish a thought and then move on. I know that was probably what he was like, his erratic behavior. But it's annoying and hard to watch. Also I realized this is the 4th movie I've seen in theaters, in a row, that is based on a true story about a famous man. It's not intentional, just happened to be the movie I was interested in each week.

Sunday: Don't Say a Word (2001)

            Some men rob a bank for a rare jewel. One betrays the group and runs off with the jewel. Ten years later on the night before Thanksgiving a psychiatrist, Nathan, is called in to a mental hospital to see a patient. A young woman, Elisabeth, who has been misdiagnosed multiple times. She was there because had attacked an orderly at another hospital. Nathan sees her and understands she is a difficult case. He promises to help. The next day he wakes up to find his daughter has been kidnapped. The kidnappers, who are the robbers that were betrayed, call him to tell him they need him to get some numbers that only Elisabeth knows. If he doesn't get the numbers they will kill his daughter. Nathan has to figure out how to reach Elisabeth and find out what happened. Find out why these numbers are so important. This movie was alright. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...