Skip to main content

Clarice and the Senior's Club

 Friday: The Life of Chuck (2024)  

       This movie has three parts. It starts at the end of Chuck's life. While his family is with him at his death bed the world is ending. States are breaking apart, the power is going out, natural disasters every day, and more. The second part Chuck is in adult man. On a business trip he walks by a drummer and starts to dance. A woman joins him and they dance for an audience. The third part is about Chuck as a boy and teenager. He has to deal with loss and the awkwardness of being a teenager. I thought this movie was alright. It was sadder and more stressful than I thought it would be. I was hesitant to see it because I don't like movies that have a weird timeline. But I thought I would give it a chance because Tom Hiddleston (as adult Chuck) was in it. I'm glad I waited to see it at home and not in theaters.

Saturday: The Thursday Murder Club (2025)

        At a retirement home four of it's residents spend their Thursday's solving cold cases. Their home is in jeopardy because a new land owner wants to turn it into an event space. Then one of the current owners winds up dead. Now the club has a murder case happening around them. They stick their noses where they don't belong and try to solve it themselves. This movie was alright. I was pleasantly surprised to see David Tennant in it, even if he was the bad guy. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Friday: The Roses (2025)

        Theo and Ivy are a British couple living in the U.S. Theo has become a well known architect. He is designing the building for the new museum. Ivy is a talented chef who takes care of their kids. After a storm destroys his building Theo and Ivy switch roles. He stays at home and she opens a restaurant. It becomes a big success. This change wrecks havoc on their marriage. They grow to hate each other and take it to the extreme. I thought this movie was alright. It's a comedy. A lot of it was funny. I just didn't like all the humor. 

Saturday: The Colour Room (2021)

          This is based on a true story. It is set in the 20s in England. Clarice works at a pottery factory as a painter. She has dreams of doing more. Then she gets a job at Wilkinson's. It is more well known and the direction she wants to go in. She gets caught stealing clay, but she shows the owner what she made. Colley, one of the owners, is impressed. He has wanted to take the designs in a new direction. Clarice soon starts as a modeler. She is the only woman and no one takes her work seriously. She soon changes that and revolutionizes the factory. This movie was alright. Clarice was an amazing woman.

Sunday: The Last Unicorn (1982)

           While hiding from hunters in her forest a unicorn hears them say she may be the last one. She doesn't believe it to be true. Although it is dangerous she sets off to try and find other unicorns. She learns of a red bull that has been gathering up the unicorns for a king. With the help of an amateur wizard, the unicorn sets out to find the king and find out what happened to the other unicorns. I thought this movie was ok. The story was interesting and the animation is pretty. The songs were not good. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...