Skip to main content

Toulouse and the Witch's Flower

       While in Seattle I ended up going to Toulouse Petit for brunch with my family. It is on Queen Anne Ave. N. It is a New Orleans style restaurant that serves cajun-creole food. It's a decent sized place. There are blown glass lanterns hanging outside. Also above each table is a similar lamp hanging down. Like upside down Venetian vases. The floor is tiled in circular patterns. There are booths with gold velvet backing. The tables are beautifully crafted and designed wood tables. The walls are stucco-like, painted a mix of green and mustard yellow. Which sounds weird but it works. There are shelves on the walls with many small low candles. I bet it looks beautiful at night. A disco ball hangs from the ceiling near the bar. We got beignets for an appetizer. They were small. Good for sharing. I admit I didn't order the most unique thing. A lot of the food is spicy and I don't handle spice well. So I got a heirloom tomato and avocado eggs benedict with bacon. It was good. The service was good. I would go back. 

Tuesday: Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017)

        Mary is a young girl who goes live with her great aunt. One day while exploring she meets a black cat. The cat leads her to a field where she finds a unique looking flower. Later she discovers the flower gives her magical powers. She also finds a old broom. Her temporary powers allow her to fly on the broom. It takes her to a magic school in the sky. She is welcomed and seen as a prodigy.  Mary loves feeling accepted and admired. She wants to go to school there. Soon she finds out the school has a dark secret. It is a Studio Ghibli film technically, but not done by the same people as the other ones. I thought it was good. They are great at making such detailed and other worldly places.

Sunday: Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

          A spoiled housewife, Leona, is bedridden. One night she calls her husband who was supposed to be home early. Instead of getting him she somehow gets connected to another phone line. She overhears two men plotting a murder for that very night. She tries to track down the call but no one will help. No one believes her. She tries to locate her husband. Leona finds out her husband was up to something that got him in trouble. With each person she talks to she learns more about what he's really been doing. This movie was alright. It is based on a radio show of the same story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...