Skip to main content

Juan Salvador and the Lottery Ticket

 Friday: The Penguin Lessons (2024)

      This movie is inspired by true events. Tom is an Englishman who gets a job at a school in Argentina in 1976. Argentina is divided between two political parties fighting to be on top. Tom no longer has passion for teaching. He's just there to make money. The school is shut down for a week due to a coup. So he goes on vacation to Uruguay. There he ends up rescuing a penguin from an oil spill. Despite his best efforts he can't find anywhere to leave the penguin so he ends up taking it back with him. Others discover Tom has a penguin and the penguin is named Juan Salvador. One day after continuing to struggle to keep his class under control Tom brings Juan Salvador to class. His students promise to behave if they can feed Juan Salvador. Slowly their schoolwork starts to improve. Tom finds his passion again. The fighting political parties continue to make life difficult. I thought this movie was good.

Sunday: Uptown Saturday Night (1974)

         Steve has just started his vacation when his friend Wardell convinces him to go to an illegal club called Madame Zenobia's. While there the club and everyone in it is robbed. The next day Steve finds out he won the lottery. Only problem is the lottery ticket was in his wallet that got stolen. Desperate to find it he enlists Wardell's help to get his wallet back. So begins their journey into the underworld of their city. Getting scammed and dealing with gangsters in an attempt to get his wallet back. This movie was alright. It was directed by Sidney Poitier, who also played Steve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...