Skip to main content

Battalion and the Unlikely Heroes

 Friday: Thunderbolts* (2025)

     Yelena is unhappy. She wants to be doing something different. She agrees to do one more job for Valentina and then will make a change. The job is to take out a thief breaking into a secure storage facility, as well as taking out the facility. When she gets there she soon finds out she is not the only one there on a mission from Valentina. It's a trap. This group of misfits heroes have to work together to survive. Once out they realize there is a much bigger threat they have to worry about. They have to come together again to take it down. I thought this movie was good. The cinematography was great. It's fun.

Saturday: The Six Triple Eight (2024)

       This is based on a true story. Set during WWII a young black woman, Lena, joins the all black female battalion of WAC. They have to work twice as hard to get any respect. They aren't given any missions. Until the war department starts getting lots of complaints of missing mail. So they assign the battalion Lena is in to sort it out. They are sent to Europe to get the mail in order. There were several airplane hangers full of mail. There was 17 million pieces of mail they had to go through. The battalion was able to develop a system to get the mail sorted and sent to the right place. They did it in less than 90 days. This movie was alright. Some of the acting wasn't great. It is an amazing story.

Sunday: Einstein and Eddington (2008)

         This is also based on a true story. During WWI Einstein was working on his theory of gravity. Although Germany wanted him to be working to help with the war. An English professor, Eddington, learned of Einstein's work and thought he had a way to help. Despite both of their countries not wanting them to work together, the two men exchanged letters and worked on the theory. Eventually Einstein developed his General Theory of Relativity. Eddington is the first scientist to test it out. I thought this movie was alright. Interesting to learn about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...