Skip to main content

Mickey and the Deep-Sea Divers

Wednesday: Last Breath (2025)

    This is based on a true story. Chris is deep-sea diver. He works off the coast of Scotland. The divers work on the pipe lines on the floor of the ocean. Chris sets off on a job. He is paired with Duncan and Dave. When they are sent down a storm comes on. Chris gets cut off from the ship's air supply and is lost. He only has a limited back up supply. Duncan, Dave, and the rest of the crew have to work to save Chris. I thought this movie was good. It's intense but not as intense as I was led to believe. It's an incredible story. The divers have to spend over 20 days in a special compression chamber so their bodies can handle being so far down. I could never do that.

Saturday: Mickey 17 (2025)

     Mickey signs up to go on a mission in space to find a livable planet. Without really looking at all that is involved he applies to be an expendable. Mickey's body and memories are copied and stored. He is given all the horrible and dangerous jobs. When he dies they just print him a new body. He soon regrets his decision. His only comfort is a woman he meets, Nasha. They fall for each other and support each other. One day Mickey comes back to his quarters to find there is another Mickey there already. They could be in big trouble if they are discovered. The leader of the mission is a power hungry failed politician. When his true plans are discovered the others have to fight to stop him. This movie is good. Weird and violent but good. 

Sunday: Surprised by Oxford (2023)

       This is also based on a true story. Caro is extremely intelligent but closed off young woman. She gets accepted to a post graduate program at Oxford. Her goal is to her PhD. There she meets a guy named Kent. He challenges her in a ways she is not prepared for. Kent pushes to her be more open to the world and love. Caro struggles to deal with this relationship and her school work. It's not an easy relationship. I thought this movie was alright. It has a more religious under tone than I was expecting. 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...