Skip to main content

Daydreaming Publisher and the Pop Star

 Tuesday: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)

    Walter is a publisher at a pulp fiction publishing firm. He is often daydreaming about a more exciting life. In real life he is under appreciated at work, has a controlling mother, and a fiancee who isn't that interested in him. One day on the train he encounters a young woman, Rosalind, who looks just like the woman in all his daydreams. She uses him to get away from someone following her. Walter takes a liking to her. After another encounter he ends up with her little black book. Next thing he knew he was in the middle of a spy ring trying to get the information in the black book. He has to find a way to get it where it belongs. I thought this movie was alright.

Friday: Better Man (2025)

    This is the true story of British pop star Robbie Williams. Robbie grew up never quite fitting in. He loved singers like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin because his father loved them. Then his father leaves to pursue his singing career leaving Robbie and his mom to fend for themselves. At age fifteen he joins a pop group called Take That. They become famous. Fame and depression have negative affects on Robbie. He gets into drugs and alcohol. He is kicked out of the group and goes out on his own. Robbie finds success, but his addiction and depression are soon his downfall. He has to work hard to get to a better place. This movie is good. I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. Especially when Robbie is portrayed as an anthropomorphic monkey. 

Saturday: Conclave (2024)

     The pope has died and now a new one must be elected. Lawrence is the cardinal in charge of the conclave where they will vote on the new pope. The election is surrounded by controversy. As it goes on Lawrence discovers one shocking secret after the other. Along with some other cardinals he must sort out these secrets, yet still elect good and fair pope. I thought this movie was alright. I can see why it's getting so much award attention. I just didn't think it was that great.

Sunday: Borderlands (2024)

     Lilith is a bounty hunter hired to find the daughter of a wealthy man. She has to return to her home planet. There is a legend that there is a secret vault on that planet that holds untold riches. Many seek it. There is a young woman who is supposed to be the key to opening it. Once she finds the girl, Tina, she find out Tina's father believes Tina is the one. Lilith's priorities change and she helps to find the vault before Tina's father. Not knowing the role she will play. This movie was ok. Not as bad as people said but still not good. I'm glad I waited till it was on streaming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...