Skip to main content

Bob and the Recovery

 Thursday: A Complete Unknown (2024)

      This is based on a true story. Bob Dylan was only 19 when he came to NYC. He met Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie when Woody was in the hospital. They could both see he had a lot of talent as a folk singer. Pete took Bob under his wing. Bob started getting gigs and met Joan Baez. He also met a young woman named Sylvie who he hit it off with. As time went on his music became popular and he became famous. He hated the fame and all the expectations that came with it. Bob wanted his music to evolve and not be strictly folk anymore. Many people didn't like that. Especially other folk musicians like Pete. Bob didn't care and did it anyways. I thought this movie was good. 

Friday: The Outrun (2024)

     Rona is a young biology student. Her father's bipolar disorder and stresses of life drive her to alcohol. She develops a really bad drinking problem that starts to destroy her life. Screwing up her education and relationships. To get away from it all she goes back home to Scotland's Orkney Islands. Rona does her best to stop drinking and get her life back on track. She goes to an even smaller island to really isolate herself. As she recovers she rediscovers her love of wildlife and finds a new purpose. This movie was alright. A little slow at times. But well done.

Saturday: The Full Monty (1997)

      Gaz and other steel workers have been laid off when the factory shut down. They have been out of work and struggle to find other jobs. Then after seeing how popular a male strip club is in another town they decide to make their own. Gaz and his friend Dave recruit four other former steel workers, including their former boss. They make a routine and find a venue. Financial and family challenges being obstacles in putting on the show. I thought this movie was alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...