Skip to main content

Bohemian Artist and the Adman

 Tuesday: Double Wedding (1937)

      Margit has always taken care of her younger sister Irene. She has Irene's life planned out. Margit even picked out Irene's fiance Waldo for her. The wedding is planned and Margit wants it to happen soon. Irene loves Waldo but he has no backbone and is a pushover. She can't see herself with a man like that. So she pretends to be in love with her artist friend Charlie. She says she is going to marry him. Margit wants to put a stop to it, so she confronts Charlie. He has no real interest in Irene. From the moment he meets Margit he knows she is the one for him. So he agrees not to marry Irene if Margit will pose for portrait. He also works with Waldo to make him more confident. I thought this movie was alright.

Wednesday: Nothing in Common (1986)

     David is a very successful advertising executive. He is a very outgoing man who likes to joke and have a good time. David loves the company of women. His life comes to a stop when his parents get divorced. He has to try and support both of them, neither of them can really function on their own. David's dad in particular has many problems. He struggles to take care of himself, especially after he gets fired. Then his health starts to fail. David has to balance his work life while taking care of his parents. This movie was alright.

Saturday: Daliland (2022)

      A young man, James, is working as an assistant at Salvador Dali's gallery in New York in the 70s. One day he is sent to deliver money to Dali's wife. He enters Dali's strange world and becomes a part of it. Dali and his wife take a liking to James. Dali hires him to be his assistant till the gallery show. He is to make sure Dali finishes all his paintings. He also goes to all the crazy parties. Where he meets a free spirit named Ginesta. He falls for her. As enchanting as Dali's world is, it is also very chaotic bring turmoil to everyone. I thought this movie was alright.

Sunday: The Watchers (2024)

      Mina is troubled American woman living in Ireland. One a trip for work she gets lost in a forest known for people going in and never coming back out. Mina encounters three strangers who take her into their shelter. There is a dangerous entity in the forest. Anyone out after dark is never seen from again. The shelter has a one way mirror. Every night they must be in front of it to entertain the creatures they call the Watchers. Mina doesn't accept this fate. She wants to escape. This proves very difficult. There is more going on than she realizes. This movie was alright. This movie is written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan's daughter. Which I didn't find out till I wrote this. I thought he directed it. I usually avoid his films because they aren't very good. But I was curious about the twist in this one. So I waited for it to come out on streaming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...