Skip to main content

Mr. Peabody and the Guildford Four

 Wednesday: Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948)

      While recovering from a bad flu, Arthur Peabody and his wife decide to take a winter vacation in the Caribbean. They stay in a beautiful house right on the water. Arthur is starting to feel better. Then after a party his wife reminds him he is almost fifty. This makes him depressed. Soon after he takes a boat to a nearby island where he hears singing. He can't find the source of the singing and decides to go fishing. He catches a mermaid. Arthur takes her back to the house. His wife doesn't believe him. He ends up putting the mermaid in their very large pond. He falls in love with her. Everyone thinks he is crazy. It complicates everything. I thought this movie was alright. 

Saturday: French Girl (2024)

       Gordon is a high school teacher who is dating a talented chef named Sophie. She gets offered a chance at a job at a restaurant in Quebec City, where she is from. Gordon goes with her while she tries out for the job. They stay with her family. They mostly speak French, which Gordon understands but doesn't speak very well. The owner of the restaurant is Ruby, who is Sophie's ex. Gordon is worried about losing Sophie and what he would do if she gets the job. This movie was alright. Not the best but cute. The main reason I watched it was because I will be starting a cruise from Quebec City in a little over a week. So I thought it would be fun to watch a movie set there.

Sunday: In the Name of the Father (1993)

       This is based on a true story. Gerry is a young man living in Belfast in the 70s. Caught in the middle of the battle between the I.R.A. and British military. Gerry isn't on either side. He steals metal scraps to sell. This gets him in trouble and angers both sides. His father sends him to London to keep him out of trouble. He lives in a commune. There is a bombing not far from where him. Gerry along with three others are suspected of setting off the bomb. They are all coerced into confessing to a crime they didn't commit. Gerry's father, aunt and cousins are also arrested as accomplices. They are all sent to prison. His father fights from day one to get them out of prison. It takes longer for Gerry to come around to thinking they have any chance of getting out. That there is anyone they can trust. I thought this movie was good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...