Skip to main content

Deadpool and the Assassin's High School Reunion

 Tuesday: Widow Clicquot (2024)

     This is based on a true story. It is about when the Veuve Clicquot champagne family business started in the late 1700s. Barbe Nicole (I'm just going to call her Barbe for the rest of this) marries into the family. She falls deeply in love with Francois. He is a visionary, who also suffers from severe mental illness. He dies and leaves the vineyard to her. Barbe does her best to get it back on its feet.  She wants to continue Francois' work and develop new kinds of wine. There are many obstacles in her way. In the end she finds success and the legacy of their wine lives on. I thought this movie was good. There is a lot of back and forth between when Francois is alive and after he dies. 

Wednesday: The Luzhin Defence (2000)

      Natalia in on vacation with her mother at a resort in Italy next to a lake in the 1920s. Her mother is trying to set her up with a wealthy bachelor. The resort is also hosting a chess tournament. Luzhin arrives to play in the tournament. He was a child prodigy whose whole life revolves around chess. After a chance encounter Luzhin falls in love with Natalia immediately. After only maybe two encounters he asks her to marry him. She takes time to think about it. Meanwhile Luzhin has a hard time balancing his two worlds, chess and his new love. This movie was alright. 

Friday: Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

       A skilled assassin, Martin, finds himself struggling with his job. Even turning to therapy to decide if it's still right for him. Then he gets a job in his home town. Which also happens to be when his 10 year high school reunion is. Martin uses this time to reconnect to his old life. He looks up his high school sweetheart, Debi, who he never showed to pick up for prom. And then disappeared for 10 years. Martin has a lot to make up for. He has to reevaluate how he wants to live his life. I thought this movie was good. I recorded this movie on TCM. They sometimes have guest programmers. By chance the guest programmer who chose this movie was Ryan Reynolds. Who was there in part to promote the new Deadpool movie. Which I was seeing the next day. So unknowingly beforehand I had a weekend programmed by Ryan Reynolds. Also they mention Oregon several times. Saying it wrong every time. The music is good in this movie.  

Saturday: Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

       Wade (Deadpool) has turned a new leaf. He is trying to be normal. He has given up being Deadpool and works at a car dealership. Then the TVA brings him in. They offer him a chance to be an avenger. But it means his timeline and all the people he loves will be gone. His timeline is dying because Wolverine died. To save it he has to find a new Wolverine from another timeline to save his. Wade goes off to find one. Along the way forces try and stop him and prevent him and the new Wolverine from saving his world. This movie is really good. I didn't want to say too much more without giving anything away. It's a really fun movie with a lot of great cameos. 

Sunday: A Simple Plan (1998)

       Hank is out with his simple minded brother Jacob and Jacob's friend Lou. After almost hitting a fox, Jacob's dog chases the fox into a nature preserve. The three men chase after the dog into the woods. There they find a crashed plane. In the plane they find a duffel bag filled with millions of dollars. The three men agree to keep the money. They wait to see if anyone is looking for it before spending any. They struggle to wait to spend the money. The men make one grave mistake after another. Turning one simple plan into a deadly mistake. I thought this movie was ok. It reminded me of a Coen brothers movie. People who aren't criminals committing one simple crime that spirals out of control. It just keeps getting worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Migrating Ducks and the Prophecy

 Monday: Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont (2005)       Mrs. Palfrey is left at a retirement home in London by her family. It is not at the level of luxury she's used to. But eventually she does get used to it. Still she gets rather lonely. She has a grandson who lives in London, but he never returns her calls. After taking a fall Mrs. Palfrey is rescued by a young writer named Ludo. They become friends. He becomes more of a grandson to her than her own grandson. They keep each other company and make each other's lives better. I thought this movie was alright. Sunday: Double Feature- Suncoast  (2024) and Migration (2023)         Suncoast is based on a true story. Set in the early 2000s this movie is about a teenage girl named Doris. She spends most of her time taking care of her terminally ill brother. Her mother, Kristine, is very demanding. Kristine also shows more affections to her son and just expects Doris to do nothing else but care for her...

Shoyu Ramen and the Baron

        Friday I went to a place called Hapa Ramen.  It's on SE Gladstone. It actually has it's own parking lot. That being said there is only 5 or 6 spots. It's a small place. You order and then you find your table. I sat at the ramen bar. The decor is dark. Most of the walls and part of the bar is covered in dark wood panels. There are also shelves with lots of plants and Japanese decorations. It is also a whiskey bar. They even have pairings with the different menu items. I didn't get any. I ordered the Shoyu Ramen which has pork and a marinated egg. It was really good. But I forgot to ask for no onions, which ruined it a little for me. To be fair the menu didn't say it came with onions but I guess that's a common ingredient in ramen. The service was good.  I would go back for sure. I know it's a place my sister would like. Especially because she told me about it. Monday: Going Hollywood (1933)          Sylvia is a young teacher ...

Grogu and the Friendly Neighbor

 Friday: Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu (2026)         The Mandalorian (Mando) and Grogu are working for the New Republic. There are still many Imperial Warlords out there even if the Empire has fallen. Their new assignment is to find a warlord who is dangerous but not much is known about him. The Hutts have information on him. They will give it to Mando if he can rescue their nephew, Rotta. Rotta has been kidnapped and made to fight in nightly cage matches. Mando and Grogu set out to rescue him, but much more is at play than they knew. I thought this movie was good. It's a stand alone adventure. So if you haven't watched the tv series you'll be ok. Wish I had known that before I gave me parents (who went with me) a recap of all three seasons. Oh well. They still enjoyed it. Grogu is so cute. And that's all the matters. Saturday: WarGames (1983)          David is an intelligent teen who is great with computers. While trying to get ...